Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / No building permits? Where?
. 1 . 2 . >>
archimedes
# Posted: 4 Mar 2013 18:26

Hi, I'm new here and love this site.

I'm looking for a property where I can build a cabin with no permits (or minimal permits). I live in FL and have the whole summer off. So I'm looking for a getaway but wont have to commute - go up in the spring, come home in the fall.

Can anyone direct me to an area where they know no permits are needed? I'm pretty flexible with location. Cool mountains would be my first choice.

Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 18:38

theres a small uninhabited island south of the Azores which is too far away for the local inspectors to get to.

TrueCabin
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 19:09

When you are in an area that you like (cool mountains!) look around and see if there are other little cabins existing (with outhouses) that will suggest you're in the right area. Usually this will be pretty remote. If there are a number of modern, expensive houses in the area, this is not your area.

The condition you want comes with side effects. Rich people don't want your little shack nearby so they use the county to prevent you from building, and reducing their property values. And they can be spiteful too. Then if you drive in and out often with lots of materials it can attract attention. If there are no rich folks around there's a chance you're in the other kind of neighborhood - one that can get trashy. Then you have to worry about your cabin.

That's why I say get remote. Azores remote. Build under tree cover, to protect from satellite photos, and not in view of a road. Keep it small. Make your driveway curvy and under tree cover too. A green roof will help. Actual green (Sod) even better.

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 19:27

Here we go again. Hide away to break the law. Each area is different. It's up to you to get the information. This topic has already been discussed in length and the moderator of this site does not condone building without permits.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 20:18

Relax Francis, he is asking of an area that doesnt require permits, or minimal, not dodging (in other words, legally, re-read his original post). Heck, if he wanted to just evade the permitting process, (bootleg it) he can do that just about anywhere. He is looking for an area with minimal restrictions is all. So it appears he wants to be legit.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 20:52 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Vinton Co Ohio has no building code/permit requirement. There are other OH counties that are the same. Pit outhouses are not allowed in Vinton Co, one must have approved septic installed (or use porta-john, composter, etc).

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 21:24

Hello. I was responding to TrueCabin. Taking advice like that can get you into big trouble.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 22:26

Technically the permit or not question hinges on lax enforcement in some rural area. The IRC has been adopted by 49 of the 50 states, WI has their own code but is quite similar to the IRC. Of the 49 states that adopted the IRC, 37 states have adopted it state wide, no local options. OH is one of those, so it is just lax local enforcement that provides the aura of no codes. And why is no codes considered a good thing by so many?

Kudzu
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 23:13

Alabama

TrueCabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 00:16

Quoting: ICC
And why is no codes considered a good thing by so many?

It's not many. What there are many of, is many worse crimes than wanting a small cabin. A small cabin that is small. (just to be clear ) Maybe codes should start when a structure gets bigger than 300 sq ft.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 07:21

ICC,

The Vinton County OH Gov't does not issue permits for anything except septic systems. They don't issue building permits, period. It isn't lax enforcement, there is no building inspector/process. If one builds in Vinton County, you cannot get a permit or inspector, IRC or not. The state may have adopted the standard, but the county has not implemented.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 08:05

Some central and northern counties in Wisconsin are pretty lax on permits if any at all....

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 08:42

In Shanghai you must get a permit, but once you pay off the local official you can build whatever you want.

Seriously, I agree with ICC that there are probably not any areas that are not technically covered by requirements to get a permit, so it comes down to enforcement. But it might be easier to build with a permit than you think, and you end up with more permanent structure.

It boils down to safety, and your responsibility for other people's safety. At some point someone else is going to enter your cabin, or buy it and use it, etc. Would you let someone in your car if the brakes were not, uh, 'up to code'? I've participated in 'sub-standard housing' and I regret it.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 10:56

Quoting: bldginsp

It boils down to safety, and your responsibility for other people's safety. At some point someone else is going to enter your cabin, or buy it and use it, etc. Would you let someone in your car if the brakes were not, uh, 'up to code'? I've participated in 'sub-standard housing' and I regret it.

Exactly and thank you for saying that. Too many take the view that it is theirs and they can do whatever they want.

241comp
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 13:51

There are some counties in Kentucky where (according to the permit office) building permits are required only if you will have permanent utilities or a septic tank. Building code still applies, you just aren't required to have a permit or inspection.

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 17:30

I have seen some of the cabins photos built without permits on this site and have been shocked at some of the safety issues.

There is one such cabin on here that has a foundation that is sure to fail. I hope the family is not in the cabin when it slides off it's foundation.......

VC_fan
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 18:13

To SE Ohio:
I started to tell people that that's one of the many things I love about Vinton County yesterday and then thought I'd just better keep it a secret. When the realtor said that the county didn't even have inspectors I knew it was the place for me, though he began reassuring me that the few builders they had would do a great job. Inspectors have their place so please don't view this as trying to start an argument. For our retreat I just wanted some place where we could do pretty much what we wanted.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Mar 2013 06:55

SE Ohio
been lurking a long time. found a place in Vinton co, can anyone pm me, if there is a button for that, for info? thank you so much!

ps: love this site!

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Mar 2013 09:40 - Edited by: BaconCreek

In the rural portion of KY (which is most of it) you can pretty much do whatever.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Mar 2013 15:28

I'm sorry, forgive me for jumping in here. I was on the way to some appts. I love this site and have read for many hours, for a couple years. I just never thought I would be able to find that special little place. I have found it though, and have some questions about Vinton co, Ohio, that I am having trouble finding answers on. Main one being how hard is it to use a compost toilet, I have a great one I actually bought at a thrift shop. And one I made myself. I am determined to be as off grid as I can. The property does not have a septic, is why I am asking. I'm not a newbie to off grid living at all. I am just downsizing. Thank you anyone who can answer this for me!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 22 Mar 2013 16:42

Grandma Off Grid,

Can I call you Granny for short?

Compost toilet is easy to use, my 3 year old has no problems with it. True, there is not much or any decomposition/composting occurring if temps are sub-freezing, but not an issue for us since its going to a compost pile and not on veggies. We do not put toilet paper in the toilet as it fills our pot quickly. We put it in shopping bags, tie off and then in the trash (which we take to our on-grid house). Our composter is a simple wooden box with 5 gallon bucket (search for loveable loo website).

Best feature: no splash!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Mar 2013 17:25

Thank You SE Ohio! I have used my compost toilet for a long time. I'm in an Amish area so its kind of the norm here. What I am really wanting to know is how the county feels about it? Can I buy this special little place with no septic and live there without a septic in this county? Thank you, and so much enjoy reading your posts and I believe I have fallen in love with Vinton co.
I am downsizing and moving further south as some of my family is. And yes, please call me Granny!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Mar 2013 18:44 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

In all fairness, I found my nice sparsely populated county (7 people per sq mile) in which I built in was very pleasant to deal with. I was very nervous as this was my first time ever pulling a permit. Not nervous because I was trying to slide something by, just nervous because I didnt know what I was doing or if I was doing it right. Not the building part, just the permitting process. I learned a lot before doing it, ie got my mailing address, did my site plan, then submitted my plans for review, got the call a week later, I was good to go. So all in all, it went well. My taxes are cheap over there anyway. Some areas like where I reside, population density of 800+ per square mile, its like a bunch of control freak nazis. And takes months and sometimes years before you get the go ahead. I think those horror stories is what has everyone so scared and wanting to build in a way where a permit is not required it its possible. If it was simple and no control freaks who like to make people squirm

SE Ohio
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 08:43

"Granny",

I purchased my existing Vinton Co cabin with no septic, no issues. They were even taxing me as if I lived there full time! As you point out, the local Amish also don't have septic systems, so you should be okay. You can call the county gov't to make sure (make a record of who you speak to...).

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:34

Thank you for replying, its those of you who live in this county that i'm looking at your stuff on here.

i am 49, but LOVE being called GRANNY. its so cute when these young ins say "Grandma, can i have...?"

I found this little cabin with some land in what i think is just the right spot. i have alot of questions, and am probably bugging the seller, but its still winter up north here and i won't be able to go see it till after Easter,

and maybe i should start a new thread, i fear i have hi-jacked the OP's!

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:48 - Edited by: trollbridge

Granny...I'm 49 and a grandma too (1 girl and 3 boys with a 4th boy due in June). I know exactly what you mean when they say "hey, Grandma...". It wasn't till I got pregnant that it became odd "hey Grandma, is your baby kicking?" My granddaughter would ask...I always had to laugh at that one
Our daughter is now 3 months old.

...and sorry for adding to the drift...

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:25

LOL..my mom, my sister, my cousin, and me...years ago...all pregnant at the same time! have a pic somewhere of all us having a joint baby shower...and then a few months later...same living room..all of sitting there breastfeeding..LOL love it!

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:31

Yes...breastfeeding together is DEFINITELY the weirdest feeling of all!!! Thanks for the laugh!

oldgringo
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 16:05

Mcintosh County, OK

No permits, no inspectors, NO FEES.

Anonymous
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 18:04

Quoting: Anonymous
Quoting: Anonymous
There is one such cabin on here that has a foundation that is sure to fail. I hope the family is not in the cabin when it slides off it's foundation.......

I know the exact one you speak of.

Which one is it? Id like to have a laugh. Or maybe i'll just laugh at the worry worts

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.