Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / What is a "hunt camp"?
Rossman
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 19:21

I was reading the zoning bylaws for our township and it says our rural property can have a "hunt/fish camp" on it legitimately.

However, nowhere else in the regulations can I find reference to what a "hunt camp" is legally defined as.

Did some quick googling and see a lot of people have properties with hunt camps already on them (some up to or more than 12'x20') but did not see any posts on, f.ex, DIY/setting up your own hunt camp and what that entails. Is this building permit territory, or perhaps there is some more discretion here for someone who only wants to use their property part time like myself?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hinezy
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 19:48

I don't know for sure but my guess would be that it's their way of saying it can't be a permanent residence.

Anonymous
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 21:06

Pick up the phone and give the township a call. That's your best bet.

Rossman
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 21:35

That's an option, unfortunately our building guy is only part time and real hard to get ahold of. so I was hoping someone here might have some idea ;)

thanks

doo-drew
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 22:10

Well same deal for me. I'm zoned recreational forestry and in Michigan. I'm allowed 200 sqft no building permit. 500 sqft hunt/fish cabin. 750+ for residential. I have had a few conversations with zoning & building dept. Here's what i was told. With all the rules and i build something which i apply for as a domicile it has to have a foundation, egress windows, wired smoke detectors, blah blah. Now... As a person filled me into getting around this is to apply for a storage building permit. Once built and the inspector signs off on it. Start doing what i want to it and wait 2 years and go to the zoning (not building) dept and fill out app to have the structure reclassified as a cabin. Zoning is not interested in all the building rules, just the tax $$. So they'll happily sign of on it.

doo-drew
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 22:11

Sorry... And your limited to staying there no more than 120 days per year as a hunting cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.