Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / stairs on a steep slope
tcerrato
# Posted: 25 Mar 2013 16:54

Thinking of buying a cabin that sits up on a hill. The lake is about 800 feet down a steep slope. I might even call it a cliff.

Anyone know if you can put stairs down say 250 feet of steep cliffy slope?

There is deeded access to the lake on a road through the neighbors yard but I would really like to have my own access on the property.

I dont have any good pictures that show the grade I was able to climb up it with my wife so its not exactly mt Everest but its hands and knees tree to tree in parts and very rocky

any input would be great

Just
# Posted: 25 Mar 2013 18:24

there is a thread somewere on this forum but I can't seem to find it perhaps someone eles here can remember!!!

oldgringo
# Posted: 25 Mar 2013 19:09 - Edited by: oldgringo

NOW we're talking about a project for a building inspector.

Seriously, yes, it can be done. It will be expensive, and it will be an engineering challenge. Getting posts to stay where you put them on a steep, and presumably rocky slope won't be easy.

I've seen trams on cables a couple of times around the lake...that might be a better option.

Flashback: I've built fence on that kind of stuff. It's not something I want to repeat.

Just
# Posted: 25 Mar 2013 21:08

the thread name is , building stairs, in cabin construction, by ,bobrok

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 06:18

Is it possible to make a natural stairway from rocks? This would alleviate the need for posts, etc and they will not rot. I had a steep ravine that we went up and down frequently so I made a staircase out of large flat rocks that were on the property. For the most part i could lift the rocks myself. The bigger ones were put in place with a block and tackle. Now I am not suggesting my ravine is even close to the size project you are proposing as my stairs may be only 30 feet long but it might be something to think about. You may not need stairs the entire way, just in the steeper spots and the other areas kept as a natural path.

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 07:41

You can put stairs down any distance. You just need to have a landing every 20 or 30 steps (I forget), you'll need a handrail, and the stair heights and depths need to be consistent. That is, if you want to be code compliant. But since this is not on the path of egress travel, that is, the path that gets you out of your house to the public way in the event of fire, your local jurisdiction might not require a permit for this. It's landscaping, not building.

I think your question is more of an engineering issue. Anything is possible obviously, but it sounds like a big project. I'd rather buy a little ATV or electic golf cart and take the long way down through the easement. That way you can carry your picanic basket, Boo-boo.

As stated above, any wood structure would be quite an engineering challenge locating posts, if you are going to pour concrete on a steep slope at all you might as well just pour steps.

I guess I would think about digging deep footings for the steps, setting forms, then getting a concrete truck out there with a concrete pump. That would be costly, but the concrete would pour pretty quickly, and I don't want to think about any other way of getting concrete 3-400 feet down that hill.

Post photos when you are done, or of your new Arctic Cat ATV.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 08:22

it is possible but unless you have a lot of time and money to throw over a cliff i would advise against it.

you can find examples near fire watch towers and some tourist areas in national and state parks (steep long stair cases)

beachman
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 16:59

There are products for lifts that climb hills. They are on rails and run on electric with a cable. You should be able to find them online or in the ad sections of cabin magazines.

Kudzu
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 17:31

ZIP LINE

oldgringo
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 17:40

My cabin sits atop a bluff similar to what you describe. A few years ago, I "improved" the least treacherous route down to the river, trimming limbs, removing loose rocks, and blowing leaves off of my path. After the first good rain, I saw the error of my ways: erosion had begun eating away what little topsoil there was. I abandoned the path immediately.

Steep slopes are best left undisturbed.

beachman
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 20:21

The url is: www.inclinedelevation.com

This is for lifts up steep slopes. It may be a better alternative than steps.

tcerrato
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 09:12

Great input thanks. I know without pictures people cant really comment on the slope. If I get the cabin ill be sure to add pictures.

Truecabin
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 12:46 - Edited by: Truecabin

Quoting: tcerrato
800 feet down a steep slope..... stairs down say 250 feet of steep cliffy slope

Zip line, thats funny. 250 feet at 4% would be 1 1/4 mile long.

250feet of stairs is a lot and would be expensive. You dont want that thing on your property. Be certain you know who will walk 350 stair steps and how often will it be used. If built to code it is certain to be very ugly with about 15 landings. Don't underestimate what a scar a code stairway could be. And if built to be attractive instead, would be a liability and if it falls into disrepair you can't sell the place. I'd fugggedaboudit. A balcony off the master bedroom at my home was so important and lovely when planned. Its still lovely but gets used twice a year, but the balcony adds value at selling.

bobbotron
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 14:00

Maybe you could buy a super long rope, tie knots in it all the way along the length, tie it off along the way, so you have something to pull yourself up, climbing up it?

This is probably something I'd try and then realize it's not a good idea, your millage my vary.

Like suggested above, a Funicular (what a great name) would be an expensive but great solution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 09:55

I've got a similar situation on my property. I've thought about making steps using concrete blocks, the type they make for retaining walls, they are about 6" high, 14" wide, 10" deep.

So, effectively, you could use these to build 300 small retaining walls down the hill, making steps. Could be built gradually over time, no concrete, no wood.

Where you disturb the earth you might get erosion as one person above. You could cover disturbed earth with landscape cloth and use straw wattles to stop flowing water.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.