Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / The book that got us Started!
Cedar Trip
# Posted: 13 Jan 2010 22:09

Country-Property-Dirt-Cheap... By Ralph Turner
Has anybody read this book? My wife and I found it to be very informative as well as having a good story of this a mans journey. If your just getting started and still looking for a small peice of property then this is he book that might get you thinking of the possibilities that are out there. It does have a good story.
Cedar

hbarker
# Posted: 23 Mar 2010 20:09

how bout a few tips from the book ?? :)

Vince P
# Posted: 26 Mar 2010 16:50 - Edited by: Vince P

Another book, which I recommend for folks that are new to the off-grid cabin scene:
"How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods: The Ultimate Guide to Building and Maintaining a Backcountry Getaway"
It's not a construction guide and it certainly doesn't cover everything, like basic solar systems, which have become dirt cheap since this book's printing, but there is some very sound advice presented in it.
If you search it on Amazon, you can read some excerpts.
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Dream-Cabin-Woods/dp/1592283292/

Idaho
# Posted: 14 Aug 2010 19:40

Hello Cedar.

I read the book you're talking about and it was really good. I purchased a small piece of property in the Idaho mountains that I found in a County Tax Sale. It was only an acre but I did good on the price -- just hope 1 acre is big enough.

Idaho

CedarTrip
# Posted: 14 Aug 2010 21:14

I purchased 10 acres in the Utah Cedars its 2 hours from my home. I am gald it is within 2 hrs away. This is a good book to get someone started and excited in looking for property it gives you ideas in finding things cheaper if you are willing to looks and ask around. I think if you are in the trees or not close to someone then an acre is good, I'm glad I bought 10 and if the 10 acres comes for sale next to me I would probably think about getting it some how only because I am not in the woods. I am a little more in the open and would like more space around me.

Cedar Trip
# Posted: 14 Aug 2010 21:26

Here are a couple of Pictures

Cedar...
m1.JPG
m1.JPG
t.JPG
t.JPG

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 16 Aug 2010 12:57

I agree with CedarTrip. Two hours is ok but three hours would start to feel like too far. Our property is 2 hrs and 90 miles from home.

We were lucky to get 80 acres. We are also surrounded by BLM which means no other builders but anyone can ride circles around my property on their ATV.

RnR
# Posted: 17 Aug 2010 14:41

Hmmm I had to look up BLM land, for you Canadians out there its the equivalent of Crown land. Wow 80 acres!

RnR

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.