Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Possible toxic substance dumping
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 21:23

Help....is there anyone out there that can give me some advise...I was at the cabin today and along the ditch line that runs along our property it appears as though someone dumped something that has killed all the grassy vegetation in a 15 foot diameter area. Nothing is growing! It looks like it may have happened last fall or this winter because the grass is still short and dead. It could be anything! I am really worried that it is something really bad as not even any weed seedlings are sprouting! I couldn't smell anything or see a residue of any sort.... It is not on our land but in the ditch along our road! Should I have it tested? Where? Do I call the DNR?

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 00:18

Sustainusfarm -thats scary.i would have it tested myself cause u never know what the heck it could be.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 06:23

what about the county extension office?
pull up a few samples and take it in there?

PA_Bound
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 08:36

If you think it is possible someone dumped a toxic chemical, do not collect your own samples! As you have no idea of what it is, you have no idea of how to protect yourself from any human hazards (special suits, gloves, respirators, etc. could be required). Just disturbing the site could be harmful.

I'm not sure in which state you live, but I think every state has a state-level organization responsible for environmental protection. That is where I would start. In PA, it's the Department of Envrionmental Protection. In MD it's the Department of the Environment. I would recommend you contact your state's EPA and ask them how best to proceed.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 10:46 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

PA is correct please stay away from the site. Someone probably dumped a hazardous material there so they didn't have to pay to have it properly disposed.

Call the WI DNR at 1-888-936-7463.They will be able to help you.

I am licensed to haul hazmat. One of the most important things to do if a spill happens is to keep people away and upwind of the spill. Our shipping manifest has the phone number on it to call a cleanup team. We are in no way trained to deal with any hazmat spill.

Truecabin
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 01:33 - Edited by: Truecabin

smell it maybe its diesel or gasoline
ive heard of people who put the wrong fuel in a borrowed pickup
it happens all the time then they just dump it in a ditch
its a bad deal eventually its in the groundwater

Just
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 07:17

Be carful in Ontario you would be liable for the cleanup cost if it was on your property.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.