Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Help. too many wild raspberry bushes
tandempair
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 14:22

Our property is in a little village on the leelaneau peninsula. We purchased it last fall, and have now started to clear it. It has so many raspberry bushes. We spent 4 hours cutting and hauling canes and only cleared a spot 40 ft X40 ft. In spite of long sleeves, jeans, and leather gloves, we were both pretty scratched up. Is there an easier way to do this. I know the canes we cut will come back, but I hope that I if I just keep mowing them eventually they won't. Wondering if others have had this problem, and how they have dealt with it.

razmichael
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 15:31

We also have them at our cabin but our house has much more - great big weeds! No easy way I know to avoid the scratches when clearing (using whipper snipper- on the other hand do what we do during berry season - send the kids out with bowls before every meal and enjoy!

Kharkov43
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 16:34

Growing up here in Indiana, our Mom would take us berry picking and we would pick and eat. Here you had to worry about the black snakes but they are harmless! Brings back good memories..........

hattie
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 21:32

Probably the only way to get rid of them is to use something like Roundup. All you need to do is get a bit on the leaf of a raspberry plant and it will die. We know because Bob accidentally got some on one of our bushes when he was killing dandelions a few years back.

tandempair
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 08:20

I was hoping to avoid chemicals, but there are so many, that I might have to go that route.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 13:50

I think your berry bushes will continue to come back no matter how many times you cut them. My husband cut ours down to nothing one year, and I feared they wouldn't come back. The next year they were VERY weak, but a year later they came back and were bearing.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 17:53

nothing you can do quick. you could use heavy tarps and blac plastic sheets to cover the ground in the fall (cut everything flat) and wait until next sumer to remove it and plant something else (the sheets shade it out and kill everything, this method is used on noxious weeds). instead of cutting by hand get a brush cutter saw with a metal head (circular saw on the end of a stick) its a weed whacker with a saw blade, rip through everything and rake it up

TheWildMan
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 17:56

we used these in controling hazardous fuels (wildfire prevention), and in precomercial thinning operations (plantation pine, cut out competing species around saplings, by the time it grows back the pines would shade everything out)

tandempair
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 07:43

Thanks. Checking on brush cutters now. Will be heading up there for a few days this weekend.

tandempair
# Posted: 6 Jun 2013 22:33

Bought a brush cutter today, planning to attack the raspberries tomorrow. Also hope to get a 25 mile cycle ride in. (our reward for fighting those brambly bushes. )

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.