Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Colorado Cabin but Not "permite issues
Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 22:52

Had an Idea That may get us around some of the code, and restriction situation in Colo.. (mainly the oversize sq, that we dont need, plumbing that not need, elect permit thats unavailable and of course the toxic mass septic system "required" that we would never use) for a weekend summer cabin.
Anyways,,
I am picturing one of those Timber / log frame covered picnic tables.
Except 20x20. roof and beams , no walls or floor.
Should not need a permit for that out on county rec zoned property,. then next year add a little cement, to keep from having mud around the table.
maybe the Next year build 36" rock walls around it between the poles. To help block wind from accidentally blowing table cloth off sorta make a north insulated wall,,
Then maybe next season accidentally enclose the whole dang thing..??
We have a motorhome to actually stay in ,, and will only be on th e property few weeks a year,,
Any input??

lawnjocky
# Posted: 12 Feb 2010 08:43

People do that all the time. Usually it is to avoid some neighbor turning them in.

Jocko

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 17 Feb 2010 20:14

See if you can build a "Storage Garage"... to park your RV on your land...if so the next year you add a wood stove and a few cabinets and your done!

Borrego
# Posted: 17 Feb 2010 22:18

In our county, you have to have a legal house first in order to build a garage, etc... But it still depends on the neighbors and the chance of discovery. 120 sq ft cabins connected is probably the way to go... Carports are legal up to 300 sq ft, I think.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 Feb 2010 14:57

Build a compound of structures.

Swamp Thing

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Feb 2010 20:40

Gonna build something,, CANT WAIT Till Spring !!!!
It is just around the corner..

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 Feb 2010 18:39

Question..
If I build just a picnic table type cover, metal roof post and timber .
frame..
At the point I want to make a floor in it,, since the post will be supporting all the load, would a thin cement slab poored inside the post .. about the thickness of a sidewalk..( since will not be driven on"or supporting anything but the walls ) work or a cabin floor??
Ok at best a 10 inch footing ?
The frost level at my cabin supposed to be 2 feet..
What about a foam insulation skirt around the outside burried in the soil to help grab a larger thermal footprint??

I could use a borate treated wood over a vapor barier? leave several inches space ,, but sealed off to prevent varmits >.

Any suggestions??

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 Feb 2010 18:40

we can not get cement truck to the site.. .

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 25 Feb 2010 00:15

if you make your posts tall...say 9-10 feet to the "future soffit" height. you could then frame a regular floor with joists ply decking etc. just above grade and then have regular room height inside.

way less concrete.

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Feb 2010 14:51

Thanks for the replies. Love this forum!!

Good Idea moontreeranch

The location is also on a hillside,, was thinking of digging in the north west corner 4 to 5 feet to where it would slope to foundation level on the opposing corners .
Any suggestions for a retainer type rock or block wall and what would need placed behind it for future plans of the structure being enclosed. to prevent water an moister penetration.?
I am picturing 4 mill polly sandwitch with a 3/4 foam sheet as lunch meat on the soil side? crushed rock in the base for drainage and back filling with a little pee gravel and soil? maybe even have a large eve overhang to keep water away fro side?

I am totally open for suggestions !

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 26 Feb 2010 14:59

4 mil poly tears easily. Try 6 mil for a little more strength.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 27 Feb 2010 23:57

if your posts are inset from the excavated wall by a foot or two and you use the elevated joist method I mentioned earlier any moisture will "flow" under the floor and not be a problem. this is very much like my storage shed...except instead of poured pier which you should use here (9-10 foot poles will torque and poured footer will be stronger) my shed sits on retaining wall blocks.

picture here, at bottom

http://kmswoodworks.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/no-glacier-this-year/

ruckfly
# Posted: 6 Jun 2010 19:06

get an old travel trailer, scrap it at home, down to the bare-metal frame. While still at home, frame in a floor and frame walls, lay the walls down on your floor, drag it all up to your spread and start building. It's a travel trailer so no foundation and no building permits. oh, keep the old title just in case.

IRC
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 16:27

Believe it or not, the county in which our camp is located allows up to 1000sq ft of "garage" before needing a permit. This is for a stand alone "storage" structure irregardless if there is a occupy-able structure on premises.

If you build a "cabin" structure...permits, electicity, water well and septic are mandatory.

Guess what we're going to do, gradually, over a period of couple years!? LOL!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.