Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / 1916 plat maps..........
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 07:56

As some of you know, I got my land from my dad when he died, and he from his dad. We have always known that my grandparents built there in 1914 or '15, on the original 80 acres. It was and still is poor farmland and neglected area, with no real use except for hunting and a getaway. My dad added forties needed though public land actions to control all access to not only our land , but several hundred acres of state and county forest. As we approach 100 years of ownership, I was able to look at the plats of 1916. To my surprise we are the only owner in the whole township to have made it to this milestone. Actually there was way more private landowners back then, but they were corporations of logging concerns and railroad companies. After logging, they must have let most of the land go back the public and now much of that is state forest. Sense the big timber was cut, many other timber growths have been cut too, as well as my own. Dad and I planted all cleared land into pines and spruce in the early 1960 and now I've sold some of them for house logs. The original house is long gone before my time. I did build our own cabin there in 1990 and have used it for family pleasure. Anyway I found this all interesting and am glad to be part of this milestone.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 08:02

This is in Northern MN, just south of Duluth MN. and twenty miles west of I-35. Most people think the far north is more remote and they all drive by on their way to it. I just laugh.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 10:00

Congratulations on your centenarian anniversary. Very few people can make that claim.

Did you decide not to sell? Thought there was a thread saying you were going to.

My grandfather bought a parcel on a (then) remote parcel on Lake Pend Oreille in north Idaho in the early 20s, built a cabin, and it was the family vacation spot for many decades. He had to barge building materials because there was no road at the time. But eventually we had to sell. Ah well.

Dillio187
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 10:51

I have some of the original title/deed stuff on my land, same kind of deal, it was owned by the railroads and logging companies back during that time.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 17:50

We have sort of decided not to sell, we're not upping our contract with the realtor. There is someone thinking about it right now, but I won't budge on price. I would imagine that should kill the deal. I will be ashamed if I don't hold onto it.

Truecabin
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 00:44 - Edited by: Truecabin

good for you keep it if you can
i like to look at old maps i wish i knew the history
you can find some old maps here but i dont know about 1916...
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/topomaps/f?p=262:1:4489834809583995
and
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitre x_prd&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

bobrok
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 13:25

As I've mentioned in another thread I used to draw property tax maps in a prior career. I, too, have always loved maps and map making and the history of ownership on some parcels can be very interesting. Sometimes working with not much more than circa-1800's surveys and maps we had to determine not only current ownership but also lot lines as closely as possible and overlay this information on brand new aerial photography. One of my favorite exercises was field tripping into the forest to find and flag markers. Lost in the woods rolling out 25 x 25 strips of white paper in an X pattern to make them visible for flyover photography.
Is it any wonder I wanted a cabin in the woods?
Oh, and don't get me going about the history of whiskey-drinking surveyors running out crooked lot lines in the old days. Try and explain to a current landowner that their lot really doesn't extend to where they thought it did for the last few generations.

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 18:04

My surveyor friend in North Carolina says he runs across property line descriptions referring to old cherry trees as the lot corner that were probably dead and gone 50 years ago. Even though there are survey monuments in the streets here in the city where I work, the local surveyors say that 50 years on the local soil has actually moved enough that they are no longer where the map says they are, exactly, and that's enough to cause property line disputes, sometimes. The only permanence is impermanence.

smallworks
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 13:54

For those of you in the Northeaset, here's another catalog of maps @ 100 years old. They're beautiful. I found the one that has our place on it and printed it. It lives on the fridge:
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm

jackaxe
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 15:42

My house, not cabin was built in 1865. But a map of Webster, NY, 1840 shows my house with 50 acres, we own 3 acres now. That old map is in my upstairs hallway. I look at it all the time.

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 18:50

The property next door to me has now sold twice in the past decade after our neighbor died. The previous deed had been signed by King George, a land grant. It must have originally been quite large, 2 ridges away a creek bears their name and the original family member's son had a house several miles away on a friend's property.

here's a link to more historical maps;
http://historical.mytopo.com/

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 19:06 - Edited by: bobrok

+1 last 3 posters!
If only we had the Internet to access this stuff back when I was drawing maps. Great info and links, all.
@jackaxe: I spent a good deal of time working at Monroe County clerk's office pouring over those very maps

Littlecooner
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 14:03

The original plats and patents to all of the US west of the original thirteen colonies is now on line at the BLM website under the GLO records (General Land Office). I see your area around Pine County was originally patented in the 1850's. It is neat to see who was the original owner to some of this land

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.