Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Sounds of nature
neb
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 11:18

I didn't want to hijack a thread started already but made me think of the sounds you hear at the cabin. I really like to listen to nature and all the sounds that happen mostly in routine order.

Like in the morning all the birds start there talk. Turkeys seem to start first then all other small creatures. The pheasants are awesome to listen to in early morning and late day. In evening the crows, geese, owls and small birds are start there evening routine.

The sounds I enjoy hearing the most is the Red-Tailed Hawk. I love their sound as they soar high in the sky searching for the days meal.

Bald eagles have an interest voice also and learned to listen for them. I had a Bald Eagle soaring above me yesterday was fun to watch him in action.

hattie
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 12:54

I love listening to the steller's jays. They are great imitators. I sat on the back steps one morning and listened to a young jay go through his entire repertoire of sounds. He did a great red tailed hawk and I enjoyed his grouse sounds. When he got to trying to imitate our neighbour's rooster, that was a bit much. He didn't do that one very well. *LOL*

neb
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 13:22

Hattie not sure if I have seen a steller's jay but do know about the blue jay. They can make a raucous and are the boss. LOL

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 18:25 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

A bat in the cabin swooping around my head. That was a sound I didn't like much. I prefer the bat that would visit outside our loft window at daybreak having its breakfast of bugs.

I love the sound of the loons on the lake. We have blue herons and Sandhills cranes that visit our beach. They have a prehistoric sound and look.

I love the sound of waves lapping the shore.

One of the scariest sounds I ever heard was in the middle of the night in our swamp. A loud splash followed by a scream. It sounded almost like a womens scream. We had heard a rumor for years that there is a cougar on our island. I think that is what we heard.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 19:20

We've got a piliated woodpecker that visits the tree in front every day...he's pretty loud but I enjoy his company.

larry
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 21:00 - Edited by: larry

we love the spring peepers.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.