Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Pre existing structures
Richard
# Posted: 26 Feb 2014 16:03

I have inherited a great deal of land up in muskoka near huntsville and would like to build a small home. I am familiar with the minimum build requirements but was wondering how feasible it would be to fix up the pre exisiting garage. its about 250 square feet and in great shape. Ive been camping inside of it the last few years and really would like to make this a livable off grid structure. solar, woodstove. etc

How legal is this? Can it be grandfathered in?

ANY HELP |HERE IS AMAZING

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Feb 2014 18:51 - Edited by: bldginsp

A garage is a different occupancy from a dwelling. It's a utility building, not a residence. There really is no such thing as 'grandfathered in', either the garage was built with a permit or it wasn't. If it was, it was permitted as a garage, not a residence, so if you want to change it to a residence legally, you would need to get a permit to change the occupancy classification of the building, and bring it up to code for residences.

How much they would want you to do in order to do so varies greatly from area to area. You can simply go in and ask them, in all likelihood they will try to help you. But, if they won't allow it, or the requirements are too expensive for you, you have just put yourself on their radar which may make it harder for you to 'camp' in the garage as you have.

Truecabin
# Posted: 1 Mar 2014 19:15 - Edited by: Truecabin

if you dont put a lot of money in it and not visible from public roads theres not much risk but dont blab about it. i bet it could get tiring trying to lay low in your primary home for example insurance might be difficult or impossible and will the fire truck come out there?
i bet they won't let you upgrade it to a home the answer is already no
no sense even asking

if it already has an address and if you will be offgrid and hidden from public view i would just do it

Richard
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 19:15

I believe I will do an inexpensive upgrade.. 2000 max. Not to great of risk that way

Thanks. Ill post pics on my way

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.