Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Building larger than 100 Sq ft
Wilbour
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 16:54

Many people are eager to build a cabin less than 100 Sq ft so as to avoid building permits. So if you live in Ontario and build a cabin larger than 100 Sq ft do you just have to apply for a permit?

I may purchase a property that has a dilapidated 10 x15 shed that probably never was permitted. I wonder what would happen if I fix it up. I put out an email and voice mail but have not heard back from the planning office. I saw that one can apply for a renovation permit.

Any thoughts?

VTweekender
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 17:11

The 100 sq ft rule applies to storage sheds and not cabins. Any cabin of any size requires a permit as a habitable structure, thus many more rules come into play, septic and well etc..etc... Most do the 100 sq "shed" and make it into a cabin with hopes of the neighbors not calling the town on you.... getting to be friendly with the neighbors is the first order of business As far as fixing up your existing shed, I wouldn't worry about that and go right ahead and fix it up..

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 19 Mar 2014 11:53

Here is one of the older topics on the subject: Ontario Building Permits.
Also, use Forum Search to lookup permit related discussions.

Wilbour
# Posted: 19 Mar 2014 12:12

The individual is on holidays until Monday. Will call back then

mojo43
# Posted: 19 Mar 2014 14:48

I had a shed on my property that was falling down (in Ontario). I called the building inspector and he said that I could rebuild it so long as it was no bigger than 108 square feet and followed all of the other rules. I build it and haven't gotten around to tearing the old one down...

Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 12:29

Present owner built the 10 x 15 on two "skids" placed on large cinder blocks. He was assured it would be deamed temporary and as such has flown under the radar for a few years. It's out in the open with lots of traffic so it cannot go unnoticed. It has no services and never will.

I will be in contact with the town on Monday.

christian1
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 15:31

So what does a habitable structure mean? I realize that is the letter of the law, but are they looking to stop full-time habitization, the weekend warrior or even the occasional sleep over?

mojo43
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 16:28

Just check out the municipal bylaws. It will define it.

VTweekender
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 16:32

Quoting: christian1
I realize that is the letter of the law, but are they looking to stop full-time habitization, the weekend warrior or even the occasional sleep over?

If you declare that your going to build a cabin, no matter what size, to use for even one sleepover weekend then it falls into a different set of building rules intended for safety. They also want to know about the water supply and where the human waste will be disposed of....Most places allow for a cabin to use composting toilets so thats really not a large issue in most areas, but some areas may want to know about greywater as well.

Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 20:31 - Edited by: Wilbour

All I really need is a small storage shed for bikes, barbq ect. If I cannot fix up the shed then I will build a smaller shed

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 21:48

Quoting: Wilbour
All I really need is a small storage shed for bikes, barbq ect. If I cannot fix up the shed then I will build a smaller shed

I would have never called anyone...but that's just me

mojo43
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 21:55

Well I didn't tell him who I was or where my place was. I was anonymous.

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 22:00

Quoting: mojo43
I was anonymous.

*67 so caller ID did not display on the other end?

mojo43
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 22:04

Haha, I think I called from my buddy's cellphone just in case.

mojo43
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 22:05

And in all honesty, I think the building inspector knew what was going on. He didn't want to know. He was more concerned with the building being far enough away from the water and the building size. Other than that he seemed pretty nice. Fingers are still crossed though.

Wilbour
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 22:27

Shed is clearly visible from the road so it's not a secret to anyone. Being up front is just built in.

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Mar 2014 09:01

Spoke with town yesterday and was told as of 2005 you cannot build an acessory building without primary building first. You cannot avoid permits on this land. The one acre lot has no trees and is visible from miles around so there is no hiding anything.

However, if the building and the sub 100 sqft units next door were built before 2005 then they may be grandfathered into the new regulation. The shed I am looking at is 10 x 15 and on skids. When I spoke with the building inspector he couldn't care less how it was supported, it should have had a permit, period.
He then stated that if it had been erected more than 2 years ago he would not make me tear it down but would require a permit to repair. He then stated he would meet me on site to determine if the footings were code. Too bad he would not elaborate what that meant. It is on large cinder blocks then 6 x6 sleepers so the floor is about 2 to 3 feet off the ground.

That said, there is a chance I can have a 150 sqft storage building with loft due to the fact the building is previous to the new rulings.

When I asked about outhouses the town rep. said they have no problems with them at all. The area is all farmland.....

leonk
# Posted: 25 Mar 2014 19:04

it all differs from municipality to the next. which one is that?

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Mar 2014 19:14

Since I am seriously looking at purchasing the lot... let's just say it's in South Eastern Ontario.

I have a tentative meeting with the local inspector Friday afternoon to have a looksee

Wilbour
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 11:37

I met with the inspector yesterday and he had no problem with me obtaining a repair permit . He did say the structure should never have been built but since it looks 10 - 20 years old that it was considered pre-existing . Now I just have to work out a price with the owner .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.