Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Have the cottage, but we need more space?
Jasonarm
# Posted: 24 Mar 2014 18:26

I have a nice chunk of land just north of Rawdon, Quebec. We have 100 acres of land in the middle of no where. We have a small 3 bedroom cottage built by hand back in the 50's. It is our family's favorite place on earth.
We often end up with tents all over the place, except for the fall and winter where we have shoved 14 guys into the place (Every year for the past 12) for a weekend of pond hockey...
I am looking for some suggestions. The cottage is built in such a way that we can not expand it. The septic system is "hand made" back in the 50's and we don't want to touch it or draw attention to it.
Suggestions? A Bunkie? Is that permissible? What size?
We are a little lost and are looking for some good advice.
Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Mar 2014 22:40

I guess the first thing I'd think about is replacing the septic, or finding an alternative like composting toilets. When you build your bunkie, you'll then have more people out there more frequently, and that means having the capacity to dispose of the waste. Since its only vacation use, maybe a homemade compost toilet setup would work for you.

Septic is no fun to think about but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Jasonarm
# Posted: 24 Mar 2014 22:46

The septic seems to handle it without a problem. The town forces us to empty it every 2 years. However a composting toilet is something we are looking.

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Mar 2014 22:57

Could be the fact they make you pump it every two years is why it still works. 60 years is a long, long time for a septic drainfield. Generally supposed to last 20-30 years, but that's with constant use.

Jasonarm
# Posted: 24 Mar 2014 23:06

To be honest, the septic system had NEVER been emptied until 4 years ago.... It went 50+ years with no problem. 4 years ago the city made us empty it. So, I had to find the tank (my grandfather had passed away and we did not know where it was) , dig it up, drill a hole through the stone cover that had been placed over it and then add a pipe for draining. Fun job....
The system still works fine.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 25 Mar 2014 17:03 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

Sounds like a great place. How about a pole building cabin/barn with a loft? Might get away with passing it off as a garage or shed for the cottage. Pole buildings are easy to construct and cheaper than traditional construction

-Brian

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.