Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Multiple Cabins on your property?
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 21:44

Wondering how many people have multiple cabins on their property?

Since most of us have small cabins (relative term I suppose), I'm just wondering if you've run into the situation where you want to be able to have lots of folks come to your property?

My cabin sleeps 6, but as the family grows... I'm thinking about a 2nd cabin. I'm trying to decide if I want to put them in close proximity, or spread out across the property? I have 30 acres, so I could easily spread them out.

Thought?

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 21:54 - Edited by: bldginsp

If you are doing this with permits, you'll need to check the local planning ordinances to see what they will allow. Most places limit the number of living units you can have on a parcel, unless you get approval to put in a hotel.

But if you are not going the permit route, its all up to you. If you are going to have more than just a family or two for extended periods of time, sanitation becomes an issue if you don't have enough capacity. Also, if you have a large group of people staying in unpermitted structures with questionable sanitation facilities, I'd say you are far more likely to invite a visit from the local health inspector.

Beyond that, I'd want a few buildings close to a central area and a few spread out farther away for those who want quiet. Just my 2 cents

I'm in the process of building a cabin now, and I'm staying in a pop up tent trailer until it is finished. The tent trailer stays in a small shed in winter. When the cabin is done, the tent trailer will be for friends. I'm also building a detached small guest bathroom for people in the tent trailer to use (I have a septic). I could see myself getting another tent trailer and building another shed to protect it. Tent trailers are cheap and easy to store away when not in use. A simple A frame dirt floor shed is much easier to build than a livable cabin.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 23:09

Thanks... I have two lots, and am allowed 2 dwellings per lot. I currently have 1 cabin, so technically... I could build 3 more. I have 3 college age children, so I'm betting that in the next 10-15 years, we could have a bunch more people/family visiting our property. Not talking about full time... thinking weekend visits.

I was recently at a campground and saw that each "space" had a water spigot. I'm assuming they were all interconnected, and from a single well. Not sure how that's set up... but thinking about something similar. Septic could be similar, perhaps.

I like the idea of tent trailers too. Maybe I consider setting up "camp sites" with H20 and septic, with options to make cabins (or tree houses) on those sites later.

Thanks for the ideas.

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 23:35 - Edited by: bldginsp

Or, perhaps, a central bathhouse that everyone goes to from cabins, RVs, or tents.

I think in most places you can have RVs in addition to buildings, so 4 buildings on 2 lots and several tent trailers, you can put up the 5th army.

Sounds like your grand kids are going to have a ball

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 06:03

Quoting: bldginsp
The tent trailer stays in a small shed in winter

I need to do this before winter, do you have a picture of your small shed? How do you have it anchored to the ground? Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 10:29 - Edited by: bldginsp

Here's pics and original design plan of my A frame. I built it the first summer to keep the snow off my trailer, cause snow destroys RVs. True to form, that winter there was a 4 foot snow. There are 12 precast piers on grade. They are the type of pier that has straps in them. On each pier I placed one brick between the straps, and ran a 4x6PT sill on top of those bricks. The bricks just elevate the wood off dirt a bit more. On top of the 4x6 sit my pole rafters cut on site, then plywood, flashings, 30lb felt, etc. Horizontal ceiling rafters/collar ties give it strength and make a little attic for storage.

It is only anchored to the ground with the piers, which are not set in concrete, that's partly why I used 12. The straps are nailed to the 4x6 sills, and the plywood is nailed to the sills, so the structure is well tied to the piers. Wood block precast piers don't give you anything to tie to except toe nails. The wind would have to lift 12 piers to topple this building, which I think is possible but highly unlikely.

I put roll roofing on it at first because it is cheap and fast, since then I have covered it with metal roofing and walled in the ends with doors and a window. Roll roofing wont last more than a few years in a snow environment, but it was a good temporary solution.

There are forest frogs (toads?) that live in it now, they relish the water I spill when I am there. Mice inhabit insulation stored in the attic, that is, the ones I haven't caught in my Hav-a-hart yet.
VV_908_001.jpg
VV_908_001.jpg
VV_908_027.jpg
VV_908_027.jpg
A_frame_2_pdf.pdfAttached file: A_frame_2_pdf.pdf

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 12:02 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I'm in timber status as far as taxes goes and when I built mine, they removed 1 acres for the "homesite" as they called it, so I have 19.25 in timber status now. They allow up to 20% of my property for buildings. More than that, I would lose my timber tax break on that 20.25 acres. Not sure if they would remove another acre for a second dwelling because my first certainly didn't occupy much and I didnt cut down any trees to build it. Now I did buy the 20 acres next to me (in timber status also), so I have a contiguous 40 acres, so I could tie up 4 acres total, but if I ever sold the wooded 20 acre lot next to me, I would be bumped out of timer state for my lot where the cabin is now if I built my home on it making it much more costly to own each year. I want to build a home and a large detached shop. Do they remove an acre each time I pull a permit? Or if they are all within an acre, can I do them without tying up more timber land/tax break????

I suppose one could convert a cabin (dwelling) into a craft room etc and remove it as a dwelling if you built a larger home to live there full time (kinda my plan) and this may lower the taxes on it and also free up the option to build a home.

All questions to ask.

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 13:29

Why don't you start a thread about timber regulations, Toyota. I've got a beef to spill too, probably others as well

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 15:58

Extra bunk houses are great. You can keep them clean and closed when not in use. Guests and kids like to have their own sleep area. You can all get together at the dinner table or camp fire. Here's mine.
feet up
feet up

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 14 Aug 2014 06:09

Quoting: bldginsp
Here's pics and original design plan of my A frame

Thanks very much for that.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 9 Sep 2014 21:23

We're fortunate that our 1 acre is actually 2 lots, no restrictions, county water, existing 2br septic on one lot, other should perk for a 3br.
Current plan is for 16x28 main cabin and a 12x20 bunkhouse. Other lots in the area have several cabins or campers, limited only by the septic system.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 05:24

I'm thinking of a bunk house that's actually a tree house. Kids and guests would like it, if done right.

I've been searching for the right tree and have found a few potential ones. I've also been looking for design ideas on tree house websites.

In still thinking that a tree house is just a variation of a small cabin.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 17:26

We camped with a pop up trailer for years before buying the cabin. That trailer is now used as my guest house at the cabin. It sleeps 6 comfortably and people love it. I built a stand alone outhouse close to where the trailer is and installed a composting toilet in that. It is perfect for guests, especially during the middle of the night or early in the morning. In the winter I cover it with a heavy tarp but I would like to make a covered structure for it.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 13:25

We have 4 tracts that make up our 330-ish acre ranch and (now), two tracts have cabins on them and one of those has a pull trailer.

We are about to give the trailer away as we never use it and it is old, but we use the 12x24 cabin as roll-over. We have slept like 10 people in there comfortably.

We then have the "main/new" cabin and it is 24x32 with a 8x24 loft that could sleep quite a few folks I am sure. Never filled that one up.

If we only had 1 tract, we would only be allowed one cabin.

R

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.