Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Should I buy this? (Ontario)
<< . 1 . 2 .
Pookie129
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 17:35 - Edited by: Pookie129

Quoting: LoonWhisperer
Not sure the exact area but you may be close enough to attend our first Small Cabin BBQ that Pookie129 has graciously volunteered to host (hehehe)

Perhaps Ipet will be our new "neighbour" and we can help christen that new property - get a sense for the cast of characters involved and what I would be getting myself into before committing I might have commitment issues, the jury is still out...lol..lol.

So Ipet, where was this 3 hour commute to? just kidding - but not about the christening if it is near our neck of the woods

Good luck to you - it is a lot of work looking for a remote or distance based property - and especially one that sets a need for creating a resource based infrastructure (water, heat, power, security, etc) on said land.

You may not be skilled in some areas but you have plenty of time to learn - even an old chicka like me is learning new things and expanding my knowledge base, and quite frankly my own humanity as it was probably meant to be. One of the things you will hopefully learn, is when to say when and let a professional do it (electrical, structural, etc), you can learn along the way but only by consult and using educated and knowledgable trades and people (friends, family, hired resources, take a course lots of free ones at home depot, lowes, etc). Trade your own skills with someone who has skills you need, etc. You will figure it out. This forum is amazing for knowledge and there are a lot of helpful, intelligent and experienced people.

Don't rush - you will find that property, it won't be perfect and you will have to make compromises, and you will drive, drive, drive (if you are doing it right and doing your homework) but it will be worth it in the end. Trust your gut - it got you to 24 and buying a property of this nature....good luck.

Steve_S
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 17:37 - Edited by: Steve_S

Quoting: leonk
what a post from Steve

Too much with my questions & points ? Kind of hard to make a judgment or render an opinion on incomplete info.

+1 Project_North & Pookie... IF possible and if they are hesitant & do not want to wait, IMO that would be a RED FLAG waving in the breeze.

If you have a good agent your working with, they can tell you how long it has been listed and what the prices have been through the listing histories, it may show you if they are anxious or not and possibly how "negotiable" they are. Cash under the sellers nose is a good motivator to "make the deal".

PS: We bought ours with CASH on the barrel and slid it through my lawyer as the new FINTRAC Gestapo laws are applied to any cash transaction above 10K in Canada. We fast closed in 5 business days and in the process saved 13K. Nothing beats a stack of C-Notes under the nose.

PS: My GF is a born, bred & raised Big City girl who never did anything remotely like swing a hammer. Last fall she was felling trees, clearing brush, building a berm (30'L x 10w x 15'h ) and very anxious to start swingin hammers... As an educator with delicate hands not used to "real work" she was sore for a bit but was more motivated with every sore muscle and she said after a month of it, she wasn't sore anymore & didn't even notice the amount of work she was doing... then she noticed her muscles starting to ripple (geez that's hot) and two notches down on the belt.

Pookie129
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 17:42

Quoting: Steve_S
We bought ours with CASH on the barrel and slid it through my lawyer as the new FINTRAC Gestapo laws are applied to any cash transaction above 10K in Canada. We fast closed in 5 business days and in the process saved 13K. Nothing beats a stack of C-Notes under the nose.

When and if possible, best way to go. Those notes are best spent on new or gently used motorized vehicles and property improvements (armoured/enforced structure for bows, guns, generators, stuff), wells, power, cabins, etc.
And BBQ parties

Pookie129
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 17:46

Ipet, sorry to rant on this but one last suggestion and I apologize if it has already been suggested...before you sign your name on the dotted line, check with whatever your local township/office or website and see what bylaws are being updated, changed, revised or altered that could affect your zoning or property type or requirements, environmental stuff, etc. Seems like a lot of work but what sucks more is buying a property and then finding out you can't use it for what you want down the road or make the modifications you want because a bylaw or regulation has been changed. Or that a dog kennel or scrap yard is being purposed right next door, etc.....just a thought.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 21:47 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Was the cabin built with permits? This build might not be a legal cabin being it is so small. Is the road a pubic,private(owned by you) or landlocked?

leonk
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 16:20

Steve, I meant it was informative post, sorry wasn't clear.
could you elaborate on this
<<PS: We bought ours with CASH on the barrel and slid it through my lawyer as the new FINTRAC Gestapo laws are applied to any cash transaction above 10K in Canada. <<

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 16:29

The Harper regime implemented mandatory reporting on large cash transactions. Large Cash Transaction Reporting

Big cash transactions can cause a lot of trouble because the government is paranoid over money flows and terrorists, criminals etc... That's the excuse anyways... They just want to track who spends what and where... Too BIG BROTHER for me. They want an Audit Trail so they can see where the cash came from, when & how plus they do not want to miss the chance of pocketing part of it (taxing away a chunk of it).

I believe the States has done something quite similar too now...

smallworks
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 19:45

Yikes, Steve!
We paid cash, too (US) and were able to buy our place with exactly the amount we had available-
Every point taken here is spot on.. Ipet, make a list of every point mentioned, and as Pookie said, Trust Your Gut. Even if you feel a bit unsure you'll know the shoe that fits. Good luck.

leonk
# Posted: 13 Mar 2015 13:53 - Edited by: leonk

Steve, so how did you avoid Fintrac reporting..?
basically any tips for future cash transactions?

added: so now that I looked at the link you posted, I don't see anything new. 10K reporting requirement was there as far as I remember.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Mar 2015 18:02

They did change the reporting rules and extended it... anyways I could get political about it and won't do so... no one needs the stress of it - hence why I wanna be in my bush home... suffices to say, I like freedom in it's truest forms.

I simply got my lawyer to do the $ transfers when buying the land. When I paid for the well, had him cut a draft for 1/2 the cost.

Tips:
Stay below 10K cash otherwise use bank drafts or route through a lawyer (should do for Real Estate buy/sell regardless).

Anyways, this sub-topic is off-topic in this thread. Let's respect the thread.

BobF
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 15:27

Hey lpet,

Did you ever check out this property? What did you think?

I found it online as well, and it looks like it's in a nice area. The driveway also looks like it would add a fair bit of privacy.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.