Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Building a cabin in upstate NY
<< . 1 . 2 .
mikehu1966
# Posted: 30 Aug 2013 08:54

@Josh, I have not yet builded, I have land, that i purchased last year, with Septic (need to find input) , well (not sure if pump works) and electric on the property. Currently I am leaning towards a gravel pad whenever I do this, but before that a lot of excavating / other work is needed.

Michael

swampshaman
# Posted: 30 Aug 2013 17:45

Hi Josh,Im building right outside Bowman lake,it truly is a beautiful area.
when I dug my outhouse I hit a layer of clay and shale at 3 ft above that it was all loose loam,theres still a 3-4" layer of groundwater in the bottom of it. I had my builder put in piers for the cabin and he wrapped them with insulation and sat them on round pads because the water table is so close to the surface.I was going to do it myself, but decided to let him do it because hes got more experience in this area, and that was his recomendation if I did it myself.

MAKinthewoods
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 15:18

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/BelfastProperty/library/Coyle%20Hill%20Rd%2014711%20n ear%2014739?sort=2&page=1

The above link is to a photo album of our place in Allegany County, 9W, where we had planned to build a cabin. We wound up building elsewhere in 9W and so this is available.

We have found no opposition to building a 16x22 cabin with no elec., no plumbing and using an outhouse for now with composting toilet in the plans. A lot of what has been posted here is correct. Get chatty with the local fellas over more than an afternoon (plan on trailer camping on site for the first year), get names you can drop when you meet with CEO and be upfront about the sparse use you envision for it. They know this will increase tax revenue in their town without much increase in population and that seems to be a plus for most of them.

Location on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?hl=en#!q=Coyle+Hill+Rd%2C+Friendship%2C+NY&data=! 4m10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d2066607!2d-75.7700406!3d42.7466321!3m2!1i976!2i529!4f13.1

odells85
# Posted: 19 Aug 2014 11:22

I ran into the same problem in Allegheny county NY. The local CEO told me if there would be any occupancy then the structure needs the septic and well as a dwelling. Well, I didn't take that on face value. I did intensive research and contacted the NY State CEO engineer. He advised me that you can build a hunting/ fishing cabin as long as it is under 500 square feet, does not have all of the defined amenities required for a dwelling and you have a permit from the local CEO. Contacted the local CEO and had a polite conversation concerning what learned. I threw around a bunch of related codes/ terminology and that the NY State CEO approved it. The local guy ended up saying "it sounds like you know what your talking about. Just do up the plans and pay for the permit, no problem." IT PAYS TO DO YOUR RESEARCH AND NOT EXCEPT THE STATUS QUO OF A LOCAL CEO. Also you do not need an engineers stamp concerning any structure under 1500 square feet....do it you selfer.

cwalker572004
# Posted: 5 Apr 2015 03:00

I,m in Allegany County the town of Hume. I wanna build a 16x10 cabin any suggestions?

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.