Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / recreation cabin or home
deryk
# Posted: 19 May 2015 12:16

I am still waiting on the county sewage person to get back to me about WV laws on grey water....but having made some call's in different states most seem to allow recreation use cabins vs homes. Recreation use typically means that you can't live on it but they don't do inspections on it etc.

My question, once you have several acres in the boonies what is the likelihood they will be coming out checking that you aren't just using it from time to time?

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 May 2015 14:23 - Edited by: bldginsp

The more important question is probably what the likelihood is that a neighbor will call in a complaint. Building departments must respond to complaints. There are advantages to being in an area with a lot of dead pickup trucks in the weeds, IYKWIM.

Four month per year cabins are allowed in my area so long as you have an approved septic. But in some neighborhoods the neighbors will call on the first day after four months. In other neighborhoods, they'd only call if they disliked you enough. Most complaints result from grudges between neighbors.

Generally building departments don't want to bother with this kind of stuff cause they have enough on their plate. But if there is a complaint, or the county board of supervisors is breathing down their neck, they take a proactive stance.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 19 May 2015 16:23

I can think of a couple different threats arising from using your property different than how it is permitted. Bldginsp nailed what is probably the greatest, that of a disgruntled neighbor or passerby who turns you in. And while I would not be much concerned about inspectors otherwise, the next likely threat is probably the tax assessor.

If it's a recreational property you are not paying the tax bill garnered with a full-time residence. With municipalities struggling for revenue they are getting much more aggressive on assessments and making sure the correct taxes are being paid. And if they even suspect you are full-time in a recreational use cabin, there is no doubt they will take action to re-assess and probably go after past collections as well. All of which will draw un-wanted attention to your situation.

Remember it wasn't the lawman that took down Al Capone... it was the tax-man.

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 May 2015 18:29

You could also say it was Al Capone that took down Al Capone. If you manage to do it all by the regulations you will breath easier in the long run. Choose your battles. City Hall usually wins.

deryk
# Posted: 19 May 2015 23:55

Good point... they are all about the money...sadly.

I guess if you are lucky enough to have a real big piece of land it is easier to disapear on it then a few acres.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 May 2015 13:49

I disagree that City Hall is all about the money. Maybe in some places, but mostly it's about what the local citizens want and what they voted for.

Could be if you have a big piece of land no one will see you, but they will know you are there. They'll see you driving in and out. And if they had to install an expensive septic system, but they know you are there without one, they'll whine about how unfair it is. Such is life.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 21 May 2015 07:44

The county which my cabin and property is in has an inspector who comes out about every 5 years.

By the way, he says he doesn't need to heed the "no trespassing" signs, or any kind of gate... he does whatever he wants.

That's probably not legal... but then who wants to fight with the county?

Like bldginsp said, choose your battles.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.