Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Crown Land and Land Use Permits (Ontario)
Hermid
# Posted: 5 Sep 2010 16:31

Hi, well this is my first post

I dont know how many Canadians are on here or Americans who own or lease land in Ontario, Canada

I am looking into obtaining a Land use Permit to build a small disassemble Cabin in the Perry Sound District from the Ministry of Natural Resources. and have ran into couple of questions, which the ministry of natural resources has not given me a straight answer on. I know your allowed to build structures with a land use permit. I know that individuals cant buy crown land anymore for recreational use, however they are not clear about this on Land Leases, Tenures and Land use Permits. So I am wonder dose the Ministry of Natural resources in Ontario still issues Land Use Permits, Tenures and Leases to Private Individual for recreational use

temagami5
# Posted: 11 Sep 2010 07:58

Not sure about new permits, but I know you might be able to buy an existing one. It seems the rules are really vague on these in the Temagami district were we hang out. They are terminating all, then extending them, grandfathering some. Maybe you can keep talking to people at the Ministry until you get the right one. Is there any cottages available in the area you are intrested in ? Sounds like you already the " spot " picked out in your mind ?
Good Luck !

Hermid
# Posted: 12 Sep 2010 14:48

I have a couple of locations in mind. One I am looking at right now is in Perry Sound district, North of Perry Sound, its very remote as well. I'm hoping to get up to look at it next month. I know the rules in Southern Ontario are very different from the ones in Northern Ontario but still they are vague and confusing at times. I'm hoping the Province will issue more due to being cash strapped.

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 09:18

I have a land use permit with log cabin 16x24 built in 1988,located north of Timmins asking $30,000.00,if interested reply at r-lagran@dealeremail.com,my name is Roger

loyalist
# Posted: 23 Nov 2010 09:20

I stopped into the MNR yesterday and was told that you can build a non perminet structure (colapsable) and stay there for 21 days before you have to move it elsewhere. Only Americans have to bye a permit to squat on CND crown land. That is posted at the store. I believe its $9.00. Cnd do not. We had a guy that built a permint structure this year just before Moose season opened and the MNR made him tear it down opening day.

islandguy
# Posted: 23 Nov 2010 20:55

Although it has been discussed on this site already, what about a mineral claim?

hattie
# Posted: 24 Nov 2010 12:23

I don't know what the Ontario laws are, but if you have a placer claim in BC you are allowed to put up a temporary structure (ie. a camper or something on skids). Believe it or not, they DO send out guys to check on this too. We have had them into our claim a couple of times but because we have a camper, we are okay. The guy who owned our claim before us put in a cabin and was told to remove it or they would remove it at his expense. Luckily for us, he left the outhouse. *S* No one has told us we need to remove that (which is surprising, but we aren't going to question it).

Hermid
# Posted: 26 Dec 2010 23:19

I'm looking at mineral claims as well, is seems to be the best way of getting getting a build permit for land

hounddog
# Posted: 27 Dec 2010 00:41

why dont you send for a subscription to H.M.DIGNAM corporation, in Ontario,phone 1- 705- 721-1515 they sell land in parry sound I just bought a 1.6 acre lot for 18.000 no real /Estate, monthly payments check them out you will be glad you did, website www.dignam.com there book list aprox / 50-80 lots each issue good luck,

hattie
# Posted: 27 Dec 2010 23:42

I just found these two sites that talk about permits, etc. for Ontario:
http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page2103.aspx

and
http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1754.aspx

I just posted them in the "My 600 sq. ft. cabin in Loring, ON" thread.

Hermid
# Posted: 2 Jan 2011 01:15

hmm... This is going to be fun, reefing threw all the regulations. I have 2 years to figure it all out.

I wonder if the drainage for sinks and a showers and running a 120v@60Hz electrical system off 4x 100amp car battery's, charged from solar panels and a Aux. gas generator will cause any issues.

I have to send a building plan when I apply for the work permit, I guess, and will revoke it if I get the smallest thing wrong.

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 10:15

If you do not wish to move the structure every 21 days you need a work permit to construct a building on your LUP or lease property.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/CrownLand/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165788.html

The above is the MNR link for when a permit is required .. the site also will have access to many PDF documents that will answer other questions that you have.

Hope this all helps.

Hermid
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 17:09

Thanks, read a lot of the material, I just hope the area is remote enough to be vaild for building a cabin under a LUP. On another note there appears to be an abandoned Cabin in the are judging from Satellite photos. Who would I contact about finding out if someone is still leasing that area, to see if I can get a sublease if someone is still leasing it?

Rookie
# Posted: 26 May 2011 14:58

I do not know who you would contact. I am leasing some sites North West of Huntsville, near the small village of Whitehall on Route 518. Send me a e-mail if you are interested. check101bass@hotmail.com Good luck with your search.

ahooker
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 12:54

I am having a hard timefinding where crown land is located etc
anyone can help with thise?
please email me ahooker@live.ca

ahooker
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 12:55

Sorry also shoulda stated I am looking closer to the Hamilton/toronto area

Anonymous
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 17:40

Jeez guys. Literacy please!

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 20:24

Hey Roger where is it located and is it on water?

soldman
# Posted: 13 Oct 2012 08:56

looking for a LUP in the Sudbury or Sault Ste Marie or north of Sault Ste Marie on or close to water would be good... that someone would transfer or sell. Condition of building if any not important... i can be contacted at soldman_553@hotmail.com

dave's not here
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 21:14

Find a remote area in northern ontario, make sure it is not indian reserve, and build a shanty. Search it on satelite first then drive up. There are vast parcels of crown land so remote and so many lakes. For a temp. shelter buy two or three of the shed kits with the plastic fittings and use 2x2's. You can tarp it or use plywood (at least 3/8's). Get a FAC and a 20 gauge as the bear population has more than tripled since the spring hunt has long gone. You will need a screened area to enjoy the sun sets. Be prepared to move your shelter but not really.

Hondo
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 20:58

i am looking for a land lease cabin in the elliot lake are. does anyone have any info or anything for sale

Hondo
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 21:08

It would be nice to be close to water too. You can contact me at lane.nathantanya gmail.com

DungeonX
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 11:17

the MNR does not give out or sell LUP's anymore the only thing you can do is to buy one from another holder and transfer it to your name. An LUP only gives you a right to build a cabin and gives you no tenure on the land. It gives you half an acre of land. Work permits are required to do any work on the property before starting anything.

DungeonX
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 11:19

you will not find crown land down near the GTA it is all private and the crown land that is there is not available

Kharkov43
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 16:12

Hey, our cabin is in Labrador on Crown land and I'm an American and the wife is a Newfie. It was easy transferring it over to us. They still issue permits in Labrador if you want to build a cabin the differance is if you build by a road you half to have a plan and sewer. By the way our Crown rent is $100.00 a year which is a good deal.

chev
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 19:34

wondering how sticky they are in northern Ontario about mineral claims I have my prospectors licence and want to steak a claim for "mining" am I allowed to build a cabin on my claim and how do I get the surface rights to it?

Notacitygirl
# Posted: 31 Jul 2013 12:07

I assume the MNR would not consider a camper as a permanent stucture? The hubby and I are considering some new living options and winter in Canada and a tent is not one of them.

shawncochrane
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 20:56

where? name of lake or phone number... thanks

shawncochrane
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 20:57

sorry new here bob from timmins your e-mail dont work maybe be interested

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.