Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Insurance for your parcel of land (Ontario)
dirtme
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 07:27 - Edited by: dirtme

For those of you with property in Ontario, how much are you paying for property insurance and how big is your property (just as ballpark)?

Or do you go without insurance?

I think having third party liability insurance is the most important right? If some moron trespasses and trips by their own stupidity, you're on the hook.

How did you go about buying this insurance soon after purchasing the land? Do you shop around only after you owned the property, or did you secure your insurance prior to having the deed transferred over to your name so you have full insurance coverage from day 1 of owning the property?

Also, a bit related, but about auto insurance. I did some quotes of random northern Ontario rural properties and find that auto insurance rates are ridiculously high, even compared to downtown GTA. How much auto insurance do you pay because you live up in northern Ontario?

copperhead1971
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 13:38

i think trespassers should take responsibility for there own actions .. we need castle laws in this country ... just my opinion.. any ways my house insurance already covers me for liability on my land up north .. there is a small cabin on it but It is not insured . not yet .. it isn't worth much so no need to pay for more insurance

old243
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 19:12

At our hunt camp , in northern Ontario. We insist that all visitors, hunters, fishermen, belong to the Ontario federation of anglers and hunters. They are automatically covered up to 5 million of liability insurance. While they are there or at any other time. This will not cover alcohol related or some other stupid things they might do. We carry liability insurance as well as fire, on the property.

Bancroft bound
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 22:03

If your vacation/extra property is land only, your existing homeowners insurance covers it. Just let them know.
A small shed nullifies that thou, it must be land only.
I got this from 2 different Insurance companies.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 07:59

You should call around to a few different brokers and see what they come up with. Rural Experience taught me, that if you are rural, best to get a local broker or two involved for quotes.

My former insurance Co. "Economical" which was very good to deal with and fairly priced, doesn't handle older vehicles ( >15 yrs) nor does it handle "Hunt Camps" or cottages without power & phone. DUH ! I checked with my locals and Farm-State & Co-Operators cover as do a few others... Switched over to Co-Operators and wound up saving me some more $$ monthly, as a bonus.

Depending on your existing insurance policy, there may be various riders that could be added to cover you. I have found that it is worthwhile to shop around and take the time to find a "package" that covers your property.

BTW: The Canadian online broker companies like Belair Online and KTX operate mostly out of Toronto or Montreal and these folks deal with many insurance companies BUT they are Urban Focussed and have little to no familiarity with rural properties and that can make it much more difficult to get quotes and if needed later, service on a claim.

TIP: Urban insurance people often don't understand the subtle differences in terms that rurals use... I wasted a lot of time learning that. The rural broker's have the advantage that they know the area and know how people refer to certain properties and how to work out "match" or class of property. I also found when dealing with the local broker, they can help you with getting things done personally rather than being just another voice in the phone pool waiting for service.

Wilbour
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 16:19

Quoting: Bancroft bound
If your vacation/extra property is land only, your existing homeowners insurance covers it. Just let them know.
A small shed nullifies that thou, it must be land only.
I got this from 2 different Insurance companies.

When I called my broker she just added my one acre property to my home owner's insurance. Any structures? she asked.

I told her about the shed where I store my camping gear and bikes and snowshoes ect. She asked if it was in good repair and for a few photos.

Yah, I'll get right on those photos.... some day.

What she was concerned about was a storage structure that would fall on someone, like those old farm houses back in the fields.

In the end all was good with her and my home owner's insurance covers this. God Bless Ontario!

FishHog
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 11:21

Quoting: dirtme
If some moron trespasses and trips by their own stupidity, you're on the hook.

Only if you were negligent. As in you left something that caused them to trip. they can't just trip over their own feet and sue you. Well I guess they can, but they won't win unless you did something classed as negligent.

Shirleydavis
# Posted: 22 Nov 2016 00:32

Hello ,
If you are looking for third party liability insurance in Ontario check out rbcinsurance.Ontario homeowners pay on average $780/year for home insurance.One of my friends went to pcinsurance, but then he wasn't satisfied with his insurance policy so he hired an insurance adjuster from All claims USA to maximize his insurance claim.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Nov 2016 01:31 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I was unable to get insurance from my insurance company. I could for the lot with nothing on it. So I ended up getting it via the National Woodland Owners Association: http://woodlandowners.org/

It was cheap per acre, but there was a minimum charge. I think it was like $160 a year.

This is just to protect me against lawsuits, be it trespassers, people OK'd to use it etc, it wont cover their injury in a hospital etc, just protect me from lawsuits. Its all I need. Otherwise, I would not allow anyone on the place and its no fun if you cant share it with family and friends. I know, your friends wont sue you and you are probably right, but if they get hurt and submit claim to their insurance company, the insurance company may sue you, not them.

I know you are in Canada, they may have a woodland owners assoc or something similar for woodland owners or maybe a Canadian chapter???

FishHog
# Posted: 22 Nov 2016 08:04

we called a few and got the run around. We didn't insure immediately upon buying. It was a dump, and I didn't care. After renovations we wanted coverage but because there was a gap they wouldn't even quote. Like Steve said, don't waste your time with urban brokers. They just don't understand rural properties.
I got frustrated and gave up, but probably should try again. Anyone have a good northern (Sudbury area) Ontario broker they can recommend.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Nov 2016 10:38

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I was unable to get insurance from my insurance company. I could for the lot with nothing on it. So I ended up getting it via the National Woodland Owners Association: http://woodlandowners.org/

Sounds promising but the insurance link on the web site doesn't work for me. Can you explain the basic requirements?

paulz
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 10:18

Insurance coverage has always been a mystery to me, though the few times I've needed it, it has come though. So I sent in my $190 to Woodland Owners for a year of whatever it covers on my land, hoping mainly for coverage should a friend or helper get hurt. I received this certificate PDF yesterday, which is about as brief as anything explained on the web site. Maybe I'll get something further in the mail. Hopefully won't need to use it.
Certificate_1.pdfAttached file: Certificate_1.pdf

creeky
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 12:14

In Canada you're probably best to get a rider on your home. Should be reasonable.

If you're living rural look for the small local insurer. I have 2m liability and some fire . Etc. Be ready for a shock pice wize.

paulz
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 12:20

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm in the USA, just tagged onto this thread.

BennyGray
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 00:29

Shirleydavis
Nice. I was looking for something like this.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jun 2017 18:58

Quoting: paulz
Insurance coverage has always been a mystery to me, though the few times I've needed it, it has come though. So I sent in my $190 to Woodland Owners for a year of whatever it covers on my land, hoping mainly for coverage should a friend or helper get hurt

Bingo, that is it, it looks like it may help cover some cost too? But more important, it protects me. I just renewed mine last month for another year. I have too many assets and too close to retirement to lose it all now to some slip-n-fall lawyer. I would not be able to replace it or do it over at this point in my life, not without severe financial burden that I wouldnt want to take on.

I love my property and its no fun if I cant share it with friends and family, so this makes it possible.

I just sent in my $190 last month, got the same chunk of paper. I laminated it and will post it in the cabin. I dont tell anyone I am covered.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jun 2017 19:00

For those looking for coverage, go to: http://woodlandowners.org/

There is a link that reads Insurance at the top. You have to be a member to get it, but that's 35 a year.

neckless
# Posted: 20 Jun 2017 00:26

i live around dryden ontario,,, i insure with a company called wawanesa out of winnipeg, they specialize in that kind of insurance, motor bike , and commercial stuff..... through my broker in dryden.... like 280$ for cabin 30,000. plus out buildings...

bushbunkie
# Posted: 22 Jun 2017 17:08

I live in Sarnia with 2.2 acres on the Bruce near Lions head. 1000 sq ft cabin, plus one Bunkie and personal property coverage. Total is @ $190. annually through Cooperators.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.