Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Is Ontario's unorganized/unicnorporated regions the best in Canada?
dirtme
# Posted: 31 Mar 2016 15:44

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what little I know on the subject, my understanding is that Ontario's unorganized/unincorporated areas are superior than any other province by two factors:

-very low property tax unlike any other province
-few building permits required

Basically, even places like NB and NS, where the population density is really low, have both very high property tax rates (even in unincorporated regions of those provinces), and furthermore they require building permits in ALL regions in those provinces (even unincoporated).

So basically Ontario is very unique in this aspect.

But I guess where Ontarians takes it up the rear is insurance, both home and auto insurance and other general cost of living issues?

FishHog
# Posted: 1 Apr 2016 09:09

well, I must admit I like having property in an unorganized township, but don't forget in Ontario we have to also live with our liberal government and Premier Wynne, who is quickly killing this province.

old243
# Posted: 1 Apr 2016 10:34

I think the main advantage , might be the way of life, A lot like what ,the rural southern Ontario. used to be like. Where everyone used to know everyone, and were not afraid to , or in too big a hurry, to stop and say hello. In our area, of rural southern Ontario. You can always tell a newcomer from the big smoke. They hurry past and avoid eye contact at all cost. I sometimes speak to them and most hardly know how to react.

As far as our property in the north, property taxes , are mostly school tax , with a smaller part to local roads. The big advantage is the people are old school and friendly, if you get to know them and treat them right. old243

junkman416
# Posted: 1 Apr 2016 16:31

Quoting: old243
They hurry past and avoid eye contact at all cost. I sometimes speak to them and most hardly know how to react.

I hear you! And that is probably what I am like.

I live in downtown Toronto, and am working in downtown Toronto, where I am typing this message at my desk. Today I have already walked by hundreds of people -- many homeless -- that I absolutely try not to look at. And I live i a small apartment with my wife and child -- which is all I can afford even though wife and I have decent jobs!

I long to buy some land that is unincorporated, and to make the transition of hardly making eye contact to being among friendly country folk that are good to each other and interested in each other. Not possible where I live with millions or people and millions of rules.

CdnMaple
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 02:47

The unincorporated areas in Ontario do not require building permits, but you do need to get an environmental permit for your septic system. We are moving to an unincorporated area next month. I can't wait to get back to an "old school" way of life where neighbours watch out for each other, respect privacy and lend a hand when needed.

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 10:35

There are several un-incorporated regions in Ontario but they all vary with requirements & permits and usually (anymore anyways) not anywhere near Hogtown, you are looking further North, or deep North West of TO. There are townships, counties that are more relaxed and allow for Hunt Camps and Recreational Camps like around Algonquin Park / Barry's Bay area. These townships may offer a good solution if you get in on time (before some dimwit changes legislation - BTW Queens Park has been tossing it around) which I figure will be within the next 2 years, possibly before Mz Wynne is ejected in the next election.

The spread from the Big Cities is pushing the Micro-Management and Busy Bodyness that we all hate out into the country like a bad plague without a cure. They are legislating away the simple freedoms in life like building a small place and being independent or self sufficient
(something governments don't really want, dependence = control)

Some formerly decent townships have changed and now minimal sq footage (1000+) and other silliness are mandatory minimums which is to appeal to the Urbanites... Frontenac Counties, Kingston Area (anything along the St-Lawrence now) almost out to Thunder Bay...

?? One has to wonder how a township/county/region can say you must have 1000 square feet minimum when a bachelor apt is maybe 400 sq' and a 1 br is 500-750 sq' on average... Maybe we should send these dimmies to stay in those Tokyo micro-suites.... FOR A YEAR ! Then they would see that 500 Sq' is BIG LMAO...

Should note that resistance to urbanites is increasing exponentially as local people do not want the Urban issues plaguing the nation now, some of it is getting a touch nasty too...

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 09:10

The same challenges in Southwestern Ontario, as you head up the Bruce Peninsula. Unfortunately, the resistance to urbanites is a catch 22 situation....while some local don't like it (especially during tourist season), these non-locals provide the bread and butter ($$$) to many of these areas hurting for employment.
These are the folks that keep the contractors, trades, local hardware stores and restaurants in business.
In a perfect world, these smaller communities would draw non-locals with the same frame of mind (the joys and perks of small town / rural living) like my wife and I, but you get folks coming up wanting to turn everything into a little Toronto...that is what is frustrating but I don't think it is stoppable. Even locals love the perk of high speed internet and natural gas!!

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 11:39

Quoting: dirtme
From what little I know on the subject, my understanding is that Ontario's unorganized/unincorporated areas are superior than any other province by two factors:

-very low property tax unlike any other province
-few building permits required

I can't really compare all the provinces but suspect it is much like Quebec where the requirements will vary greatly depending on location and local bylaws. I'll add that building permits are not all created equal so don't necessarily assume they are overly restricted. I'm from Ontario but we have lake front in Quebec near Maniwaki (my father bought it 40 years ago). I remember talking to the local municipality and being told "bad news - you need a permit for just about everything - good news - the are cheap and easy to get". This turned out to be try. We now have a great little cabin (recreational - not approved for full time), outhouse and grey water pit. Building permit cost $40 (took about 30 minutes) and mostly based on meeting the distance from the shore rules (now very strict in Quebec). There was no formal set of building inspections (the "inspector" came out once to say hello). Most expensive thing was getting a septic report done (required even though I was not putting in a septic).

All this to say is that not all building permits are equal. I know we are lucky that we could do everything we wanted (and not have to do things we did not want to do) primarily based on the cabin being part time only and being far enough away from the more built up areas - certainly different if it was going to be full time - having said that, I think we would just need to add a septic system if we every moved there).

leonk
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 13:23

this is clearly ot, but do you speak French and if you don't how do you find it in QC? in terms of dealing with locals?
I am considering (purely) theoretical a place there and this is one of the factors...

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 14:23

My place in Northern California is just far enough away from SF that "city think" is still not the prevailing attitude. People wave from their trucks while driving and people say hello to you on the street. A short drive south to Lake Tahoe brings you straight into downtown San Francisco or San Jose in terms of how people treat each other. When you live in high density and see too many people daily, how can you acknowledge each of them?

So it stands to reason that hospitable people are a bit put out by people in expensive new clothes getting out of expensive new cars who act like you aren't there. But, resisting them or any kind of animosity toward them is sort of like "let's punish these people in the name of rural hospitality" which has a slightly ironic twist to it, at least. I wonder if the opposite approach is possible- one of hospitable understanding and trying to educate outsiders to their new surroundings. It's a lot easier to just have self-serving righteous resentment, but then, where is rural hospitality?

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 14:40

Quoting: leonk
this is clearly ot, but do you speak French and if you don't how do you find it in QC? in terms of dealing with locals?
I am considering (purely) theoretical a place there and this is one of the factors...

Not really although I can fake simple stuff (and I'm the best in the family). This is the Gateau region of Quebec - many people speak both. I have never had any issues with an attitude towards an anglophone. Certainly had some humorous discussions - I had a crew help with my foundation and putting the metal roof on - lots of hand waving, broken English and broken French along with diagrams! I had a good relationship with the municipal staff and have nothing but good things to say about them (small municipality near Maniwaki).

leonk
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 15:39

thank you.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.