Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Advice for property in Michigan
<< . 1 . 2 .
Running Wolf
# Posted: 17 May 2016 01:10

brooksm29

I agree, Lake County is the same way, it looks like on huge camp ground. It had been said to me by the county they were over ran by tar paper cabins...what we saw where a handful of old house not in use, the needed work but far from eye sore tar paper shacks. We only saw one that had a collapsed roof with a huge tree that had grown into the wall so it was obvious it had been abandon in the 70's so at this point I saw that is Baldwin or Lake County's fault for ignoring it, everyone else shouldn't get yhe screws tightened because they let it get that way and have not moved to address it....

brooksm29
# Posted: 17 May 2016 02:28

I have thought several times of going to some township meetings and throwing the rural cabin idea out to them. When I mean throwing it out, I mean having several ideas and benefits for the community. My worry is that I may be opening the flood gates to lots of people. I purchased my property with the intention of being secluded. If I pave the way for all the others, I may lose my serenity. Im OK with helping others but I do not want to lose what I have in the process.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 May 2016 07:32

You know, I wonder if you could pick up an abandoned property with one of those old houses on it for cheap (as in, for taxes or not much more) and repurpose it for a cabin? Would you be "grandfathered" in as far as codes and permits and then not have to play their game?

Running Wolf
# Posted: 17 May 2016 10:51

Julie2Oregon

I like the way you think. Many of these houses are what around here we called lake cottages before Chicagoians purchased them and built McMega Mansions that get used maybe twice a year,, not much more than cabins. (We litterally now have what we grudgently call the Castle, it looks like a stone castle, using every sq ft of the property minus drive and 1×1 patch of yard filled with stone, not one blade of grass, step out the back door onto the dock...
I have always had a love for for the older, abandon homes and cottages, they are a true part of our history and represent a time where quality and freedom were a standard, not something you bought and paid for, gauged on your ability to pay. A testement to true love and passion for life exsisted.
During this exploration and adventure a county employee commented that it sounded like I was a benifit to county and ask what I suggested to do with these cute little places they meet and discuss yet nothing ever gets done about (edited for adult language content) One even ask if I could help them with a presentation at a township meeting....

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 May 2016 11:51

Running Wolf
Wow! It sounds like if you're willing to take on one of these places, they'd totally be on your side, helpful and interested, to boot! I don't know the condition or cost involved (money, time, effort, etc.) with these places but it sure might be worth pondering! You could find a diamond in the rough and not have to worry about the weird county regs, either.

Granny
# Posted: 3 Jun 2021 07:23

All these comments are very interesting. I recently bought a small lot in Lake County for family camping. According to info I got from the seller and online real estate sites, I could pretty much do what I wanted since the township was unzoned. So, last week I had a nice older RV moved there. It didn’t occur to me that the county would have so many of its own rules. Not sure now if I’ll have to sell the RV 😥. Oh well.

DitchDocter25
# Posted: 23 Jun 2021 19:54

I have no idea if this one gets up to date on rules. Soooo does anyone know the Pleasant Plains Township, Lake County. Idlewild Mi...

I am wondering the code to build with no permit, the no "perm" structure. Wondering the max size. Before I start and then have to eat a ticket. I have over 20 acres. I just do not want to deal with all the above (state, local, fed, etc.)

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.