Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Timberland Owners Liability Insurance
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 23:15

OK, I have been looking into insurance to protect myself in the event someone gets hurt, found a liability release form (we know any lawyer can skirt these) be it a family member using the property, visiting with me or a trespasser. I looked into my homeowners insurance company and numbers were crazy. I wasn't looking to cover everything, just liability for injury. OK, now we all know family members wont sue you. Kicker is, they don't make the decision, its done by their insurance company, so they have no say in the matter.

Anyway, being a timber farmer, I found this website:
http://woodlandowners.org/

And in there, was a button in the middle near the top that read insurance. I clicked on it and found for 28 cents an acre, minimum of $160 a year (which will be my total cost), I can get full liability insurance. So I am jacked up and figured I would share this info with my fellow cabineers. There is regional chapters of the NWOA. So it wasn't required, I did however, sigh up for membership and printed out the application.
http://woodlandowners.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2016-NWOA-Single-Page-Wood-Liabi lity.pdf

This is not spam. You all know me as a legit cabineer with a full cabin build under my belt on 40 acres.

Steve_S
# Posted: 24 Jul 2016 07:57

The Cabin is under your Belt ? Man you must have super strong boxers ! sorry, just couldn't help it... LOL Hafta wonder what Mrs Toyota_MDT would have to say on that.... hahaha...

Everytime I see the words "insurance" I get a shudder up my spine...

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Jul 2016 08:12

Just FYI, You don't need liability insurance for trespassers.

Years ago, this guy rode his ATV on some land and got hurt and sued the company that owned the land. The court ruled that the land owner cannot be expected to warrant the safety of the property for trespassers since they are there without permission and cannot be advised of all possible risks.

Guests and others would be presumably briefed and warned of hazards. I wonder if liability waivers help. A Sheldon Cooper visitor agreement.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Jul 2016 11:23

Dave, I would agree, I do have a disclaimer, but a lawyer can always seem to find a workaround. In the mean time, its lots of time and $$$ for lawyers, even if I win. I have 40 acres, half is fenced (20 acres) other isn't, and I have no sings posted as of yet on the newest 20 acres addition. Naturally, all the land in the area is private, so anyone just wondering is trespassing. My fenced 20 is clearly marked all around the perimeter.

I googled Sheldon Cooper agreement.

I love that show.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 11:43

When I got my property I posted the perimeter. I also obtained an 2 million dollar umbrella policy that's linked to cars, house and property.
Just watch TV. People are sue happy even when it's their own fault. It appears no one is personally responsible for their own action and someone else is expected to pay.
And there's an contingent of attorneys that promote this.

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 13:34

Quoting: hueyjazz
People are sue happy even when it's their own fault. It appears no one is personally responsible for their own action and someone else is expected to pay.
And there's an contingent of attorneys that promote this.

Yes, yes. Gotta watch out for those attorneys. And evidently they have watch out for themselves, too. Just look at this real news headline.
whoops!
whoops!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 23:45

Quoting: bobrok
And evidently they have watch out for themselves,

Bob, I wonder if he won/lost? Or did they settle out of court.

Cowracer
# Posted: 27 Jul 2016 11:57 - Edited by: Cowracer

Quoting: DaveBell
Just FYI, You don't need liability insurance for trespassers.

Read up on "Attractive nuisance" law. If a child (legal definition varies by state) gets hurt on your property, you can be sued to the very gates of hell, despite them trespassing.

Tim

DaveBell
# Posted: 27 Jul 2016 16:37 - Edited by: DaveBell

Quoting: Cowracer
Read up on "Attractive nuisance" law. If a child (legal definition varies by state) gets hurt on your property, you can be sued to the very gates of hell, despite them trespassing.

Tim, you need to be a bit more definitive with your reply.

"if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children."

"the plaintiff (either the child, or a parent suing on the child's behalf) had to show that it was the hazardous condition itself which lured the child onto the landowner's property. However, most jurisdictions have statutorily altered this condition, and now require only that the injury was foreseeable by the landowner."

Like removing the door from a discarded refrigerator.

Cowracer
# Posted: 27 Jul 2016 21:16

A good lawyer can turn a pile of sand into an attractive nuisance.

Tim

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Aug 2016 21:13

Quoting: Cowracer
A good lawyer can turn a pile of sand into an attractive nuisance.

Tim

And a reason I just sent in my $160 for a full years coverage for liability to cover my family/friends who use the place. I am already a member of the National Woodlands Owners Assoc.

Nate R
# Posted: 13 Aug 2016 08:16

Interesting that you found high rates through your homeowner's policy.

I called my agent to figure out how to cover my 2 parcels, one is completely unimproved (just trees), the other has a driveway, camper, and an outhouse. The empty parcel got liability coverage extended from my homeowner's policy for free, the other cost me a whopping $9 a year to add on. (Liability coverage only)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Aug 2016 19:30

Mine wont cover it at all, it doesnt have a phone line, not on the grid , no hydrants, and no fire station less than a mile away. The unimproved lot, not problem, but spendy, the one with the cabin, insurance was as much as my homeowners policy. (already looked into it) It can vary by states, lots to do with state laws. I just wanted liability of someone got hurt. Its a nice place, but no fun if I can share it with family and friends.

Nate, what state you in?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.