Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Does "no restrictions" on a listing really mean that ?
tommyk
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 05:17

I'm currently ready to look at land for a cabin and was curious what "no restrictions" really means . Obviously no homeowners associations but does it really mean you can build what you want, the way you want on your recreational land or are there still building codes to address ?. How does a person look into such things ? I know so many of you have done this so I just want to know what I should be looking for in that type of listing. Any help would go a long way.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 08:34

Whenever I have seen "No Restrictions" it often refer to zoning in regards to permitted uses and quite unusual in an urban area anyways... I could see a County allowing such but I can also see the potential of serious unpleasantness... Imagine building a homestead to find out the property next door is going to turn into a noisy or dirty business...

It's always good to know what the zoning is around the area you are looking at, as things are changing and some areas are starting to restrict permitted uses ... Not all zoning will permit housing or hobby farming (homesteading).

Building Codes always apply and even in many unorganized or unregistered townships / counties. That all depends on the Town / County your looking in.

Also watch out for certain designations because I discovered that "Recreational Land" can seriously mean different things, some of which is seriously "Restrictive Land"... and of course there is the Designated Protected lands, which you can buy, camp on but cannot put any structures or roadworks into because they are critical watersheds or sensitive areas.

Hope it helps

tommyk
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 09:31

Thanks Steve any info helps. I appreciate it.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 09:48 - Edited by: bldginsp

To find out what restrictions there are, you can go into the local Planning/Building dept, give them the parcel number and ask.

You should also go to the Health dept. and ask what they will require for septic systems. Many places are very restrictive on this. They may also be able to give you an idea of how deep you may have to drill a well to hit water, and what the water quality may be. If you plan to cut a road or do major earthwork, talk to the local Public Works/Engineering dept.- you may need a grading permit and there will be restrictions on that. If you plan to do logging or just serious cutting/thinning the Forestry dept. may have restrictions. In California you are supposed to get a forestry permit to clear land for a septic and cabin- that's right- for two dozen trees.

But who said, 'No restrictions'? The real estate agent? Some agents will say anything to encourage a sale. Maybe all they mean is no HOA and CCRs, maybe more. Pin them down.

As far as 'what I should be looking for in that type of listing' I'd say don't assume anything- listings only present the positive aspects. When buying its good to have your own agent who knows the area and the rules, and who is honest enough to advocate for you. But remember that both agents- buyer's and seller's- benefit from a sale, and at the highest price. The only reason the buyer's agent is motivated to tell you everything and try to get the price down is professional integrity. If the sale takes a long time to end up at a lower price your agent gets less and takes more time to do it. Good agents do that.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 10:23

Very Good Point from Bldginsp... Never Assume Anything and if it comes from a Realtor.... Well, I treat them like politicians.... (the new lowest standard it seems)... I say that just because of the massive amounts of shifty realtors being caught in the news lately...

Most realtor's pay little to no attention on properties that aren't "big ticket" in their eyes, so they don't put much effort into it... Little commissions just don't do it for most of them.

Be happy that North America is not a crazy real estate market like New Zealand or Australia where everything goes to Auction and reaches crazy prices... Some spots are going the "Auction Route" now, so it's a matter of time, especially as pressures on land & resources continue. Imagine being stuck somewhere like the UK where you can't chuck a rock in any direction & dig a hole without hitting Archeology that forces you to stop & spend heaps on a dig before being able to continue...

tommyk
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 12:39 - Edited by: tommyk

It's definitely becoming a world where we have to be wary. Society isn't helping any with the way the world is changing and becoming divided as well. When it comes to realtors I have seen quite a difference agent to agent in homes I've purchased without a doubt and you're right the attitudes and general "I can't be bothered attitudes are annoying.I have been interested in off grid for years and finally I'm ready to just pull the trigger and go off grid.

I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to it. Thanks again for the help

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 13:30

There's a lot to be aware of when looking at properties. Start a thread asking 'what to look for when looking at land' and you will get a lot of good info.

tommyk
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 16:22

Thank you bldinsp.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 19:28

The county clerk has become my best friend. (Well, from my perspective. She may see things differently, hahaha.) She has everything recorded on properties. I've gotten copies of the CCRs, the deed, etc., emailed to me for a small fee so I can read legal descriptions and exactly what any stipulations are.

That's probably a good place to start.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.