Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Woodlands and tree cutting bylaws
manofbush
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 12:08

Hi there,
I have made an exhaustive search for details regarding tree cutting by-laws. Nowhere can I find details and examples of for our tree bylaws. For example - woodlots are defined as land at least .5 acres in are with at least (I) 200 trees of any size per .5 acre... My woodlot is under the .5 acre, but there is an adjacent woodlot that is probably 100 feet away. Would you lump them together? I am needing to know in plain English how to interpret these types of things. Does anyone have a reference source for me? I am in Ontario. Thanks.

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 12:43

You have to go to your local Ontario County / Township to get by-laws pertinent to that county. Most have them on their websites. The Ontario Woodlot Association has a ton of info and links to more info as well as comprehensive guides, publications etc to help... https://www.ontariowoodlot.com/

FAQ's on the Ontario Tree Bylaws:
https://www.ontariowoodlot.com/forest-management/legislation/faqs

manofbush
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 12:58

Thanks Steve. I have already read the by-laws and also researched the OWA (I am a member) and cannot find the type of information I am looking for. Any other ideas?

Kamn
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 13:38

No they wouldn't get lumped together
If yours is under .5 acre then I guess its not a woodlot

Whats the issue you are dealing with?
Wondering if you can cut trees down on your lot?
And where are you located...that will make a difference

manofbush
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 13:51

Thanks Kamn. The first issue I have is how to calculate if it is under .5 acre.
I am located on a farm and farmland is quite valuable. If I were to cut down this "woodlot", I would probably gain 4 acres of workable land. I don't want to, but I would like the option in case I sell. That way I could get the other 3.6 acres in shape to be farmed (use as pasture) and then when selling I could include the 4 acres as workable (potentially I guess, if the new owner would like to remove the trees).
The way I read it, the tree removal bylaws do not apply to woodlots less than .5 acre in size.
I am really not sure how to calculate the size though. There is a treed fenceline that runs to this small woodlot. Is the fenceline included in the size? There are a few "outlying" trees that are like 30 or 40 feet away. Are these included?
I can't seem to find any guidance as to how to calculate the .5 acre.
I have more issues, but this is the first and most important to get dealt with.

Just
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 14:29

Contact your local conservation athority they will give a opinion if you don't agree with them .you can appeal to the local counsel .
I live in 1 of 2 municipality's that dose not have a cutting bylaw in southern Ontaro they tryed a year ago but the farm lobby stoped them .Two council members lost there seats over it . was a hard fought battle. At 25000 $ a acer you are talking 100000 bucks they don't seem to understand thats your money if it was theirs they wouldent hug thoughts trees so much..

manofbush
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 14:37

Thanks Just. My sentiments exactly. There are a few things I can do to "adjust" the size of the small woodlot. So, I would rather just do things and not bring the issue to their attention. That way hopefully it would fly under the wire. But I would still like to be able to form my own opinion as to it's size. I tend to push things...

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 14:37 - Edited by: bldginsp

Find the person/inspector/forester who would actually come to your lot to verify that you are in compliance with local rules. Reading the rules yourself is half of it, but understanding how they enforce and administer the rules is critical. Get the right person on the lot and they'll tell you all you need to know in 1/2 hour or less.

If you try to fly under the wire and get caught you could face serious fines etc.

Kamn
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 14:58

Exactly what Just said....contact conservation authority
MANY municipalities don't have cutting bylaws, but just get a better answer from the CA

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.