Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Buying Abandoned Farmland?
turkeyboyslim
# Posted: 14 May 2018 14:49 - Edited by: turkeyboyslim

Okay so I'm looking at just over 11 acres of land that was once used to grow Christmas trees in Ashe County. Now it hasn't been farmed in a while (im not sure the actual dates but its mostly open.)

The reason I want to purchase this land is because the shape of the acreage is perfect, it is a good price, has access and is mostly usable land (it's not too steep a slope to walk) and has a few beautiful flat building sites.

I plan on building an a small woodframe cabin, harvesting solar energy and getting a well dug.

What do I need to worry about abandoned farmland in NC?

Will pesticides in the soil contaminate the well-water?
Is the land prone to erosion or in need of repair?

This is by far the nicest piece of land I can find and I'm close to buying it and starting my future. Before I pull the trigger on it I just need to know what I'm getting into. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Top of property looking toward road entrance
Top of property looking toward road entrance
Building site on right side of property (if viewing from road)
Building site on right side of property (if viewing from road)
Bottom, Start of property coming from the road
Bottom, Start of property coming from the road
Overhead, maybe a bit out-dated?
Overhead, maybe a bit out-dated?

Shadyacres
# Posted: 14 May 2018 15:26

If YOU like it , sign on the dotted line and get started on your dream. I would take farm land any day.

ICC
# Posted: 14 May 2018 18:21

Quoting: turkeyboyslim
Will pesticides in the soil contaminate the well-water?

Your well should be deep enough to not draw on water near the surface. How about collecting rain water?

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 May 2018 18:30

For $39K, looks nice. They dropped it $10K about 18 months ago. Sold on 2003 for $91K. I saw a stream on it on one web site. I'd buy that. Build on a high spot, and plant trees. I'd plan on a 1 acre garden.

turkeyboyslim
# Posted: 14 May 2018 19:37

It sold for 91k before it split. it used to be 22 acres, now 11/11 split. the stream is a small creek that I hardly have access too because there is only 50ft of road frontage and there is a culvert at the creek on the 50ft frontage.
Also I want to build in a high spot, but is the well gonna have to go way deeper the higher I go?
Thnx.

turkeyboyslim
# Posted: 14 May 2018 19:40

Yes, but could the pesticides' chemicals leech down into the water over years of farming? I've herd growing Christmas trees can use a lot of chemicals.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 14 May 2018 19:41 - Edited by: Atlincabin

Looks flat enough that the well will likely be about the same depth no matter where you drill. Never a guarantee, but a few extra feet of depth is probably not going to cost that much more in the big scheme of things. Ask your driller (often they charge by the foot, but there may also be a mobilization charge, which just gets the rig to your property and doesn't matter how deep the well is). I would expect the well to be deep enough to not have pesticide issues, but it is definitely worth analyzing the water for heavy metals as well as organic contaminants. Have fun!

Greenland South
# Posted: 15 May 2018 00:01

Well water depth can change dramatically in a very short distance and has very little to do with lake or river proximity. Our well is at 110', our neighbor up the hill, maybe 30 ' higher in elevation has a well at 75'. The guy at the top of the hill has a well at 55'. Keep in mind they are getting shallower as you go up the hill. Down along the lake shore, less than 500 metres from us and about 100' lower in elevation the wells range between 250' ad 350'.

LittleManCabin
# Posted: 16 May 2018 12:35

Wow, small world! I didn't expect to run into someone else in Ashe County on here. I own property up there too. It is a beautiful area! I don't live there full time, I come up there to camp out on some weekends.

I imagine the environmental department that handles well and septic permitting might have some useful information for you. http://www.apphealthcare.com/environmental-health/ or call them at 336-246-3356.

I also imagine you can maybe take a few soil samples and get them tested somewhere for pesticides/contaminates. If you are really worried about the well water, maybe talk to neighbors nearby (if there are any), to see if they have ever tested their water.

If you need help negotiating/buying the land, let me know. I am a licensed real estate agent in NC.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.