Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / PA recreational affidavit
thelostcabin
# Posted: 10 Sep 2018 14:18

I have an existing cabin in pa. Can i designate it recreational then build and addition without permitting?

ICC
# Posted: 11 Sep 2018 10:50

My understanding of the purpose of a recreational property is to allow construction to a reduced standard. As such they come with restrictions such as it can never be used as a full time residence, limited number of days per year for recreational use, never use the address to things like drivers license address, and more.

The restrictions reduce the value. If the governing authority did allow the change to a recreational property your value would fall. that may end up being a long-term bad move.

Then if the value is less the taxable value goes down. Why would the governing body do something that would reduce how much money they collect when they would still be providing the same services?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Sep 2018 14:06

in my state, code is the same, if its a cabin/recreation, cant use it more than 60 days a year is all and its taxed at a lower rate, but construction standards are the same.

thelostcabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2018 15:35

Quoting: ICC
Why would the governing body do something that would reduce how much money they collect when they would still be providing the same services?

I agree it doesn't make sense for the municipalities to pass up tax dollars. I was told the affidavit was only meant for new construction, however the rules do not explicitly state that. So, is that a legit loophole to take advantage of if building an addition?

ICC
# Posted: 11 Sep 2018 18:31

What rule or regulation are you trying to avoid? The recreation cabin still has to meet other things like property setbacks, septic capacity, etc.

thelostcabin
# Posted: 12 Sep 2018 08:48

increased taxes mostly and permit $. The cabin has a privy and no electricity

deb55
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 10:39

Hi
I have a question maybe someone can help me out. Are real state taxes for a cabin/seasonal home where one can't live permantly,the same for someone who has permanent residence? hanks in advance.My seasonal home is in Montrose Pa

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.