Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Survey cost?
Smawgunner
# Posted: 20 Sep 2018 20:06

We have 85 acres in Athens county Ohio. It's all wooded, fairly rugged country. It's going to need surveyed before we sell it but have no idea what cost we'd be looking at. Anyone have any clue what a survey like this would cost? We haven't begun to get estimates yet.

deercula
# Posted: 20 Sep 2018 21:46

$2,500 to pin 4 corners of 40 acres of flat woodland in NY. Wanted another $1,000 to mark 3 sides with ribbons. It's a rip-off but they stick together, like funeral directors. They have you over a barrel.

creeky
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 10:03

Ya. Cost me 800 to have four pins found and marked. but it pissed off the neighbor so was worth every penny (he was happily laying claim to my fence line / hedge row until the markers went up)

95XL883
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 22:51

To locate 6 corners, one had to be placed and fix a bad legal description on 40 acres cost me $1,200 about 4 years ago. HTH

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:20

I guess I am thankful my 6 points (4 corners of 2 20 acres lots, shares middle corners) are marked with a large orange fiberglass stick which is identical to a mile marker you see on the side of the road and at the base of it is the actual pin. I have located all mine and marked them with my GPS. I have fenced the front 20 and its nearly right on the fence line. Just went a smidge inside. But in my area, its allowable to trespass to do fence repairs. I mean to walk on the other side to gain access to fence line. Not drive a vehicle etc.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:32

I have a nice stack of free 2x6 & 4x4 PT fencing and some decorative rock. Why? Because a friend thought he had more property on one side, so he had it surveyed. He had less..

A surveyor told me you can get within a few feet with gps coordinates if your parcel map has them. Nothing to count on of course.

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:12

I got lucky.....there was a surveyor out in our remote community doing on ejob for full price...he let it be known that he would locate corners for $600 while he was in the area....I have neighbors on 3 sides and BLM on the South side
So I got 3 corners for free....

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Sep 2018 20:59

I failed to mention, our 84 acres was surveyed in the 1800s and measured by chains. I.e. 37 chains from the large oak tree by the creek to the rock next to the Birch tree.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 25 Sep 2018 20:57

Quoting: deercula
It's a rip-off but they stick together, like funeral directors. They have you over a barrel.

Ain't that the truth. Cost me $2800 just to locate and mark the pins. Our property is 11 acres.

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 8 Aug 2020 17:46

'33 acres' (town tax survey) in NH, never been surveyed before, turned into an 11 acre lot and a 20.5 acre lot.
$2000.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Oct 2020 22:06

I have a copy from the 'courthouse' of the certified survey of both our home and cabin properties; each is dated, drawn up and has the legal description and survey notes.
That is a great place to start, if such has been done in the past.
Locating at least one corner pin lets you start to find the others. If you can relocate the historical markers you can verify the survey but, Do NOT move any markers! Flag 'em, trim out undergrowth, within reason, on your side of the line to make 'em more easily seen. Then you can run the distances with a partner and a tape and compass set for the proper declination from the date of the survey. Note: magnetic north changes over time! There are charts online regarding the declination at the date of the certified survey. The longer the 'run' and the diff in date to now can be considerable.
My point is that with some studying up and some simple tools most can relocate their markers as indicated on the survey, if you have one. Once you have done that and you have a certified survey (even copy) in hand that matches up pretty close, if not perfect, you have done the hard work on the cheap. You can show your due diligence and speak with knowledge and confidence. That always trumps ignorance.
I did just so, having some experience with construction surveying, some tools, some research and some time. I can walk the property lines right to the markers and, if needed, pull out the cert. survey, set the transit, shoot the line for direction and run the tape for the distance to show Anybody Interested (describing the process if they are interested) that the markers match the survey.
And I found it kinda fun.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Oct 2020 23:47

Had idiot who shares my NE corner pin, they were orange markers that look like mile markers on the road side, he painted it white, maybe to see better? I had a hard time finding it, looking for orange. It was irritating he would deface the marker. So I will either put on pain stripper or paint over it orange again.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.