Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Burlap Stabilization Landscaping Fabric
paulz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2018 17:51

I bought some pipe yesterday and the guy also sold me a roll and bit of this burlap. I keyed my hillside in a couple of places, fairly steep slopes, so I thought this would be a good idea to prevent a slide over the winter if we get substantial rain.

Anyone experienced with this? Do you roll it out horizontally or vertically on the hillside? Stake it in?
1109181249_resized.j.jpg
1109181249_resized.j.jpg

frankpaige
# Posted: 17 May 2021 16:50

Roll it downhill, stake it. And if cool/wet weather might continue, throw some cheap seed on it. That seed will take hold, give better grip for the burlap. Have a great outdoor season!

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 17 May 2021 18:19

That is jute mat, it works well for hills. Like frank said throw some seed on it and use sod staples to pin it down every few feet.

Brettny
# Posted: 17 May 2021 18:25

That looks like about 4hrs of trying to clean that out from under a mowing deck to me.

Dont use cheap seed. It's got to much rye grass in it. That stuff comes up in 2 days and is dead never to be need again in a few months. It's most of the ingredients in contractor grade junk seed.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 May 2021 17:13

It’s been a few years so maybe paulz can post an update on how it worked out.

I imagine jute-burlap would degrade fairly quickly especially when covered with a couple seasons of dead grass and leaf material so it shouldn’t be a mower problem for long.

This company’s discussion seems fair informative:

How to Prevent Seed and Soil Erosion on Slopes and Hills
https://www.pennington.com/all-products/grass-seed/resources/erosion-control-planting -slopes-and-hills

paulz
# Posted: 23 May 2021 13:49

Quoting: KinAlberta
It’s been a few years so maybe paulz can post an update on how it worked out.

Yep. Well that fabric got a bunch of dirt dropped on top of it when I was widening my road. I ended up pulling it all up and disposing.

But, two winters ago I put some down in another spot because my neighbor was worried about sliding. Here is what it looks like right now.
thumbnail_1.jpeg
thumbnail_1.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.