Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Out houses, etc.
red owl
# Posted: 31 Jan 2019 14:56

Hi, brand new here. I live in Florida but a travel around a lot. I want to build a very rustic cabin. Perhaps a log cabin in a wooded area or adobe in the southwest. It seems a lot of places today want hook ups equivalent to building a small house which runs up the cost big time. I wanted a cheap piece of land, haul in my own water and hang around 2 or 3 weeks once or maybe 2 times a year.
FIRST I need to find such a place. Been thinking about the Smokey Mountains, West Texas, any suggestions much appreciated.

OffGridDeveloper
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 23:54

Different places have different regulations,check with country permit office Alaska has places where anything goes north east California said I could have a out house since I was in the high desert and nothing near for miles but they said it had to lock from the outside so kids and animals can't fall in it,

ICC
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:05

Yes, checking with the local county is where to get the best, most accurate information. Even locations that do not enforce construction regulations strictly will most often enforce sanitation regs. In many places that means no old fashioned pit toilets are allowed.

redneckpaul
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 21:09

Eastern MT anything goes. Get as far away from people as you can. No neighbors.....nobody cares!

Nate R
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 21:30

No easy answer here, you'll need to check different counties, etc.

In my state, some counties outlaw privies/outhouses entirely, some allow only concrete lined ones that get pumped out, others are OK with it with a permit and groundwater inspection/check.

The county my land in Wisconsin is in allows outhouses, but I had to pay for a permit for it, and pay an excavator to certify that I was more than 3 feet above the highest groundwater level. Cost me $650 for that, permit and digging with a full size excavator, but MUCH cheaper than a well and septic!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.