Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Can’t obtain Liability Insurance?
HLC820
# Posted: 5 Mar 2019 20:53 - Edited by: HLC820

We were just deeded property in Vermont that has been in our extended family since the 80’s. It is 2.5 acres. There is an existing structure (old chicken coupe converted to what I guess was intended to be a cabin). There also is an old non working outhouse. There is no electricity or sewer/water. We are building a 16x20 camping cabin next month. Off grid completely. We called to insure the property with liability and nobody will sell us insurance. Our homeowners policy/company won’t/can’t because of the structures. I called all state and State Farm local agents in VT. They also said no. They told me to call a local broker. We called and they also told us no. We live in NJ and this will only be used a total of about 2-3 weeks a year. We plan to knock the structures down but it wasn’t something we budgeted for immediately. I’m at a loss. My IL’s are the ones who deeded it to us and have a policy from CHUBB which extends off their homeowners and with written wrong or grandfathered and renewed each year since it was originally written so long ago.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Mar 2019 21:33

Here is what I got.

http://woodlandowners.org/insurance/

HLC820
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 05:30

Thanks!!! How would I know if my property qualifies for this type of insurance? Is there an acreage minimum? Certain qualifications? Thanks!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 08:27

I am not sure, you do have to be a member of the NWOA is all and then its cheap per acre, but there is a minimum cost (not acreage). You will be looking at about $190 a year. I have been using it for the last 4 years now. And unless a better deal comes along, I will continue.

beachman
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 09:47

Confused. How do you have a "non-working" outhouse? Like telling a bear the forest floor doesn't work any more. Anyway, about the insurance, you will likely get someone to insure it but if it ever comes to a claim, they will pick you apart and deny coverage for any reason they see fit IMHO. You will likely have to fight for coverage. Most of the topics cover liability and this is probably the most important aspect of coverage in the event someone (anyone - intruders, etc...) gets hurt on your property.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 15:34

The insurance I linked to will not cover those items, it only protects him in the even of a lawsuit from an injury on your place.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 25 Mar 2019 18:27

You may be able to get your families previous grandfathered policy transferred to you. (Not sure how that works if you construct new stuff on the area) We we able to assume our inlaw's policy on our cabin when we bought it from them. We've been told if we let that policy lapse, no one else in the area (we are in) will cover it.

RMBOleMiss1952
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 23:00

Regarding liability insurance with Woodland owners; I have checked their website and they state you will receive a certificate of insurance. What about an actual policy along with specific coverages, exemptions, etc. I have called their office and during this pandemic no one is available to talk.
Anyone have further information on this insurance.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 23:14

Quoting: RMBOleMiss1952
they state you will receive a certificate of insurance.

--- because they have the policy which is a blanket policy that covers all the members for the covered perils. One big policy that covers members, so you don't get a policy of your own. They cover accidents and mistakes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.