Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Zoning of Properties
bugs
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 16:57

Was going to ask Neb and Scott and others on the land price thread but thought that might be hijacking a bit.

The land folks are purchasing... What is it zoned for? Residential, resort, recreational, grazing, agricultura, industrial,l etc?

Our chunk is zoned as agricultural but was listed/described by the real estate agent as recreational.

I suspect the zoning would have an affect on what is considered a suitable permitable building and also the taxes.

Anyway just curious.

dvgchef
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 19:15

Mine is R/A - Residential/Agricultural. That means I am allowed to build a home on any plot over 5 acres. The structure needs a permit if it is over 150 sq. ft. - therefore my cabin is 144 sq.ft. I could never build a factory on it.

And up this way - NYS - the zoning is all about land use and taxes.

Rob_O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 19:49

My property is zoned as residential/agricultural. I am in the process of having it certified a a family tree farm by the American Tree Farm System. I have my Forest Stewardship plan complete and once I get my farm number from the gubment I can get "free money" under the WHIP program doing timber stand improvement and planting forage food for the deer - things I would have done anyway

In my state, "farm dwellings" are exempt from building code and I'm 300' from any property line so I don't have to deal with the zoning commission either. How that will affect the rest of the permitting process remains to be seen

neb
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 21:30

Bugs, the land I bought is classified as ag land. It is pasture land and yellowstone River breaks. I can build a home if I want on the land but I will just put up a very small shack. It will be a place to spend a night and a place to get away. I can walk down and fish or just sit and enjoy the view. I bow hunt and this place is very special place for that because it has mule and whitetail deer. The great part it is 20 min. from where I live.

bugs
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 10:20

Neb

It sounds like you have the idyllic piece of property for the activities you enjoy. And 20 min from where you live wow. Do you think it might be too close? We are 1.5 hours away from our place and it feels about 30 minutes too long.

neb
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 18:45

bugs, no I don't think it is to close. I can always keep a good eye on it and can enjoy it more often. To some it may be to close but for me it works good. I can get there after work and have time to hunt, fish or just kick the weeds around. I personally wouldn't like it to far away because I wouldn't be able to get there as often as I would like. How often do you get to your hide away bugs?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 21:41 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

mine is R/A as well, 30 min drive to mine. about 25 miles . Far enough with the high gas prices as of now!!!! 3.48 gallon here today---ouch!!!!

bugs
# Posted: 6 Mar 2011 12:32

Neb

We get out almost every nice weekend during the spring, summer and fall. Fortunately, my wife had a lot of time off last summer and I am self employed so we could adjust our "weekends" into long weekends and to correspond to the nice weather. However, this winter it seems it has been -30c or +3C and rain/black ice so we have only been out twice.

Turkeyhunter Those gas prices are killers. I don't think we are at that level yet $1.18/litre.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.