Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Insurance
Pigman
# Posted: 18 May 2019 00:11

Does anybody know any insurance companies who will insure off grid cabin in New Hampshire. I'm having a hard time finding somebody because I have no electricity they seem to make a big issue out of that and no Road access .to get there is by hiking 15 minutes down a trail or by boat

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2019 08:38

Yes, had the same issue too. Also they wanted a water hydrant at the road, a land line and /or a fire station within a mile. I ended up just insuring the place to cover me if someone tried to sue me for getting hurt. In other words, I was unable to share my place with friends and family. So I have coverage to just protect me. Its from the NWOA and cost me $195 a year.
Will not cover my property, wont cover injury, just protect me from injury lawsuits.

That solved my dilemma so I went with it.
This link will take you to what I have.
http://woodlandowners.org/insurance/
What you were after is available, but it was pricey. You just have to keep searching.

Nobadays
# Posted: 18 May 2019 09:43

Might try American Modern Insurance. We had trouble getting coverage from the "Big Guys" and were clued in by a neighbor about AMI. The other insurance companies were all "off-grid, no Problem" until it got to their underwriters then...oh you have to have electricity, or a "residential solar system" without definition of what that means. AMI is actually an underwriter for some of the bigger companies...they did us right.

MountainSurf
# Posted: 18 May 2019 18:10

Getting more difficult in California too in the high risk areas. Premiums nearly doubled on me after I was canceled by my first insurer. Finally was able to enroll in a state subsidized plan which does not cover snowload damage, treefalls, breakins, etc.

Moomps
# Posted: 23 May 2019 08:20

I spoke to my home/car insurance agent a few years ago about insuring my cabin that sets on leased land in southern Minnesota. She told me that the cost for insurance would be outrages due to the lack of access for fires, propane heat, maybe not quite up to code electrical service. So, I insure the contents and stuff like my tractor and lawn equipment thru my regular homeowners policy. I guess as far as the building goes - oh well.

benny8
# Posted: 23 May 2019 10:36

Try Concord Group. I'm in NH as well. They insure me for my cabin, home and auto.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.