Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Looking for building permit info/advice
bulltoad
# Posted: 30 May 2020 19:52 - Edited by: bulltoad

Hey all,

I’m in early planning phases of a new cabin (I want to build it myself and keep things very simple) - I want to build in the US but haven’t settled on a location yet other than forestland near the northwest. Looking to buy around 10 acres of forest land but obviously I need to decide where first.

From some initial research, it appears that Montana is the only state nearby that officially exempts smaller residential homes from the permit process outside of city limits. I want to build safely regardless, but I want the freedom to build however I like. I know most places don’t require a permit for <100sqft but I want it to fit a family and will need more like 400sqft.

I understand it depends on local jurisdiction, but I’m not sure if other states generally enforce the International building code outside of city limits, maybe I’m putting too much weight on this factor in my decision. I also don’t want to “hide” from the authorities and build inconspicuously, I don’t want any chance of having to tear down my cabin in the future and/or pay fines.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share about building permits in rural Montana or other states near the northwest?

Thanks!

spencerin
# Posted: 30 May 2020 23:20

You're not putting too much weight on this factor - it affects cost and time, the 2 things everybody wants to minimize in construction.

I can't speak for MT, but the county of the state I built in didn't care what or how I built because it was outside city limits, and my construction loan lender didn't care as a result, either, so I didn't need any permits. That doesn't mean I built a POS because it wasn't 100% IBC-compliant, but it allowed me to build something respectable how I wanted and in a price range I wanted.

The best way to get the low-down on building permits is to simply call the county and ask. Be up front, and they'll tell you what you need to do, if anything (that's what I did). If it's as rural as rural gets in MT, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no permitting needed.

deercula
# Posted: 31 May 2020 07:54

Quoting: bulltoad
I want it to fit a family and will need more like 400sqft.

I don't think this will be large enough to be comfortable for a family.

ICC
# Posted: 31 May 2020 09:22

Is this to be a full time residence or a part time cabin?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 May 2020 11:19

My area was remote, but permit needed. I had to obtain an address first, simple, was able to do it online. Then a site plan, a rough drawing basically with my lot and where the cabin was going to set and measurements from boundary, well etc and slope or grade of the land. All can be done on a single sheet of paper with a pencil. Took that to planning dept in person, then 15 minutes later, headed to building dept, submitted my plans which I did buy online, but adjusted with white out without changing main structure. They reviewed it and in less than a week, had permit.
The folks were all very friendly and nice and even inspections went flawless.

But I know after steps, ie forms for concrete, then rebar inspection before you can move on, then framing, drywall, windows, insulation, all inspections needed, all consumes time. In my area, inspectors did rural on Mon, Wed and Friday only. So those are all factors. And can slow down the process.

I'm glad I did permit it, not always looking over ym shoulder worrying about gettign a red tag etc. Its done, all on the up and up. Was my first permit I pulled and overall, went very well.

redneckpaul
# Posted: 31 May 2020 13:55

My cabin is in rural Eastern Montana. Put up a dry cabin, outhouse no permits and no inspections. You can pretty much do anything you want in MT.
The key is to stay away from resort towns, and any of the bigger towns in MT.
Get as far away from people as possible and your good.
No people, nobody cares.
HPIM1014_1.JPG
HPIM1014_1.JPG

bulltoad
# Posted: 31 May 2020 14:24

Thanks for the input so far. I like to live nomadically, so it will be full time off and on. I’ll probably move around but would like the option of living there full time whenever I want to. Also I should have clarified, 400sqft was my idea for the main structure, then I want smaller bedroom structures detached one day for guests (by family, I don’t mean I want to raise kids here, haha). This may be way more work than reasonable, but I know I don’t want to be limited to 100sqft either way so using that exception isn’t an option.

toyota_mdt_tech - do you have an estimate of how much extra time and money the permit process took compared to if you bypassed it entirely?

redneckpaul - looks great! Congrats on that cabin. Did you ask nearby cities if one was required or did you just assume no one would care? If it’s officially not required that’s good to know. Thanks!

redneckpaul
# Posted: 1 Jun 2020 12:48

Bulltoad
No you don`t need a permit in rural areas. But when you buy land, make sure your far enough away so that the city/people don`t come to you!
A neighbor moves close by and doesn`t like your off grid house/outhouse or whatever and then it becomes a problem.
Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.