Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Feenix Cabin
<< . 1 . 2 .
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Jul 2011 21:47

Quoting: unixfmike
I found all my trough feeders.

camp spot looks great----is that hay or some other kind of bale in your feeder, i put a tin roof over my feeder, to keep the corn.pelelts etc from molding ---from rain or dew.

unixfmike
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 16:11

those are regular hay bales with deer cane. --mikew

unixfmike
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 19:41

The prefab panels are a great idea and they are as squared as a precut 4'x8' sheet of plywood can be. I won't say that I am not concerned with being perfectly square, but I am not overly worried since it is only a 8'x12' glorified tool shed. Like always, If the foundation/slab/floor/base is square, the rest will fall into place, and that is my goal.

I don't want to seem like a selfish butthead by not posting a lot of pictures of the prefab-ing of the panels, but if you see one 4'x8' wall panel, or 12 they all look the same except for the door and 2 window panels. I'm going to cut the door out here at home, and the windows out on site.

This weekend I have to work, but next weekend I plan on going up and clearing some more ground with my new tools, speaking of which...

I went through the fire rubble and located my pick, shovel, and rake heads. I figured, the tool heads could be put on new handles and still be used. I looked at the shovel/rake handles at 3 local stores, the cost between US$10.99 and $12.99, which is relatively cheap. A new shovel was US$6.99 and the rake was US$7.49. What the hell? The whole item was cheaper than the fixit part. The pick was different, US$21.99 for the new one and US$11.99 for a handle. Obviously I bought the new handle for the pick.

I'll post pictures in a couple weeks.

--MikeW

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 19:58 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

those are regular hay bales with deer cane. --mikew

i have never heard of that before, we have used deer cane, but never on a hay bale. is this for deer or elk???

one of my homemade feeders w/ roof

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 20:02

I figured, the tool heads could be put on new handles and still be used. I looked at the shovel/rake handles at 3 local stores, the cost between US$10.99 and $12.99, which is relatively cheap. A new shovel was US$6.99 and the rake was US$7.49. What the hell?

i agree, it's crazy $$$$$ for a good hickory handle, i always buy every new tool handle i see at yard / estate sales--becuse one day i will need them. i also buy great used shovels, hoes and rakes for 1 to 3 bucks each at estate sales. Which most are good brands.

unixfmike
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 23:02

Quoting: turkeyhunter
i have never heard of that before, we have used deer cane, but never on a hay bale. is this for deer or elk???

It is for deer. Last year I had pretty good luck with a crate of apples, and have been having a good draw this year with cut oranges and orange peels. I was also surprised with the use of orange marmalade as an attractant. I always try something new, you never know what is going to be the new success in your region.

--mikew

unixfmike
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 01:15

Speaking of new trends with hunting, apple butter kicks butt. The local elk are chewing into the trees closer to my deer hunting area. I saw them yesterday morning chomping away at the trees I spread it on. I love the US Army job because I get paid to run in the area they live in. I still can't hunt the majestic elk, to me they represent a strength in nature, and I just can't justify shooting one. Those Elk are so beautiful in their home, I am still awed by thier magnificence.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 7 Aug 2011 14:18

I was able to clean up my garage some today, by loading up the wall sections for my new cabin in my trailer! I just have 2 panels left to built that will fit in my suburban. Looks like I am going to get some time to head up and get some work done this week afterall.

--MikeW
Front wall section for entry door.
Front wall section for entry door.
The panels are loaded in the trailer!
The panels are loaded in the trailer!

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 20:54

Here is the start of the work!

--MikeW
The 128 degree reason to leave
The 128 degree reason to leave
A rough layout of th build
A rough layout of th build
Getting the pieces aigned
Getting the pieces aigned
Getting a level floor
Getting a level floor

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 20:58 - Edited by: unixfmike

and a little more... (I posted before adding pictures, read next)

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 21:00

and a little more...

--MikeW
All the floor joists ready
All the floor joists ready
The south wall goes up
The south wall goes up
There's the  west wall
There's the west wall
The east wall getting started.
The east wall getting started.

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 21:06

and more...

--MikeW
124 degree retreat to suburban air comnditioning!
124 degree retreat to suburban air comnditioning!
Trail cameras make a great photographer while you work
Trail cameras make a great photographer while you work
The end of day with gables dropped off and tools picked up
The end of day with gables dropped off and tools picked up

Just
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 21:38

way to go mike the feenix is rising

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 21:44

I put all of the pictures of the trail cam together into a 4 min video of the days progress. Something happen with windows movie maker that destroyed the quality of the still pictures.

I setup the trail cam to use low quality pictures, and to me they appear to be of better quality than most security cameras and in color.

--MikeW
A single still from the trail cam
A single still from the trail cam

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 21:59

That picture of me sitting there was me getting ready to pass out from the heat. I was cramped up and had already vomited. I'm glad the trail cam didnt catch that. I drank over 3 gallons of water today by myself. I was working continously since 6:00am, and left around 3:00pm after a full day of work.

If your going to work in high heat alone, remember work and rest cycles. Make sure a friend or family member knows where and how to locate you. I am thankful for my wife calling to check up on me and that annoying cell phone and random remove service today!

--MikeW

Pinchbgu
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 12:01

Hope you are feeling better after your brush with heat exhaustion. Looking forward to you next update on the Feenix!!!

unixfmike
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 18:55

Went up today in the mild warmth. After a complete walk of the property I stood the last exterior wall and put up my gables! Thank's to my buddy Chris for coming up to help with the lifting and for hanging out.

That isnt the actual ridge beam. It is just a couple 2x4's used to space the gables until next weekend. This interlocking garage build is so awesome to stand in place.

--MikeW
n_view.jpg
n_view.jpg
ne_view.jpg
ne_view.jpg
s_view.jpg
s_view.jpg
se_view.jpg
se_view.jpg

neb
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 19:13

Very nice. I got mine done early this spring as soon as I could get in there. It won't be long and it will keep out the rain.

unixfmike
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 19:38

I finished 1/2 the roof today with the help of my friend Chris. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures. I did get 1 with my cell phone.

--MikeW
feenix_roof_starting.jpg
feenix_roof_starting.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 9 Oct 2011 03:06

Right now it's Oklahoma Rainin' on my parade! I wish I could have finished more of the roof!!!

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 14 Oct 2011 21:55

It's on tomorrow! I get to go up and do some work, I am going to locate my camera now so I get some better pictures.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 22:08

I was able to get more done. My friend Tom helped me with the roof, door, and a tree stand to practice from. We also refreshed one of the two food plots from last year, and did a little walking untill we spooked a deer, then stalked it. We had to cut the stalking time short to get work done.

--MikeW
01_tom_cutting_tree_.jpg
01_tom_cutting_tree_.jpg
02_back_with_roof.jp.jpg
02_back_with_roof.jp.jpg
03_hay_bales.jpg
03_hay_bales.jpg
04_tree_stand.jpg
04_tree_stand.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 22:09

And the final picture of the day...

--MikeW
05_front_view.jpg
05_front_view.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 22:26

Awesome job getting the feenix up so quick.... Enjoy!

hattie
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 23:27

WOW....Great work!!! Congratulations!!!

homemade
# Posted: 21 Oct 2011 05:40

love what youve done... im jealous !

unixfmike
# Posted: 21 Oct 2011 08:32 - Edited by: unixfmike

Thank you for the compliments. I m greatful for the Google SketchUp team who created a marvelous product. Everything you see in the picture (the walls, gables, subfloor, and roof) were able to be measured and cut off site, and then be assembled on site without needing measurements from the structure to continue. I was skeptical about doing this, and the only measurements I had to verify was the roof sheeting (out of my own fear). I ended up with a 1/8" variance on the roof sheeting from the SketchUp plans, the width of my sawblade. The subfloor posts could not be accurately cut off site because I did not know the specifics of the grade the building is on.

My only modification from the plan was to extend te ridge beam 4 feet to the south to hang my gannon from for cleaning deer (if I ever shoot one of them, man they are fast). My intention is to go up this weekend, check my trail cam, check my food plot and corn troughs, and put some tin on that roof if I have my buddy Chris go up with me. I'm sticking to my rule of not going on a steep roof without someone to drag me out if I fall.

--MikeW

If ya' keep bendin' them nails, I'll keep cuttin' the wood too short!

unixfmike
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 01:52

Well, I finally recovered my trail cam. The pictures were of me and Tom restoring the food plot. There was also 3 shots with no animals during early morning. I was able to put a heavy tarp over the top and lace it down pretty tight. Looks like I wont be able to continue for just over a year as my Army has me going to visit another foreign place.

--MikeW

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.