Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Carport
paulz
# Posted: 24 Jun 2021 17:09

Actually more of a tractor port. I have the area leveled and mostly graded. Put one of the trusses in the air today for a look. Little close to my driveway but best I can do, and I can move the driveway over a few feet..

Got me thinking, could I build the roof - beams, trusses, perlins, metal roofing, on the ground (or maybe 2-3' up) and lift it onto the posts? Might be a little tricky but it sure would cut down on the lifting and ladder work. Anyone done anything like that?
20210624_095253.jpg
20210624_095253.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Jun 2021 23:14

It all gets twice (or more) as heavy as you think pretty quick!
And after it goes bad in a lift and ya thunk it on the ground you will not be happy.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Jun 2021 06:13

Build it where it's going to stay. If your loader lift to the top of the wall you could load all the trusses in the end. Get on the ladder and flip them up while attaching perlins.

paulz
# Posted: 25 Jun 2021 08:05

Thanks guys. Yeah I have been mulling over how I would lift it and get it in place and it seems too risky. Oh well just a thought. Putting up the panels working on perlins is going to be tougher than plywood. And you can't walk on a metal roof over just perlins I don't think. $80 for a sheet of plywood right now..

paulz
# Posted: 25 Jun 2021 10:25

Next thing I'm considering is the placement of the outer posts. If I move them in it helps the load on the beams, but I don't see any carport/gazebos done this way. Outside of load carrying concerns, is there any reason not to?
asdf.JPG
asdf.JPG

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Jun 2021 10:30

I wouldnt put the posts on the ends. I would bring them in a bit. It will help protect the post.
20181004_175930.jpg
20181004_175930.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 25 Jun 2021 12:04

Good idea. I also like how the post is notched, I will do that too.

paulz
# Posted: 25 Jun 2021 19:29

Next step for me now is to put a French drain along the hillside (right side in top photo). Already roughed out the trench with the backhoe. Bed of gravel, some perforated pipe wrapped in fabric, gravel on top. Did the same at my cabin, water has never gotten under it.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jun 2021 05:51

Swales work just as good if not better than a french drain and dont have a costly pipe to clog.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Jun 2021 10:56

Glad you mentioned that. At my cabin I also dug the ditch before construction, but didn't put the French drain in until later, and it was a real pain as the ladders had to sit in the gulley while doing the siding and roof. I needed that space to walk on afterward, it's the main path to the back of the cabin, so the French drain went in.

I won't need that access this time (easy walk around on the other side), so a gulley is fine. I'll just leave the dirt there now for ladder work and scoop it out later. Thanks Brett, I really appreciate the input.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Jun 2021 10:47

I was thinking I'd bolt my 6x10 posts to concrete pads, but as they are 16 footers I could just put them in the ground pole barn style. I'm in a mild climate, no ground freeze.

They are not PT however. Been looking and reading various pole protection methods, liquid brush on concoctions, wraps.. I do have a big role of bitchithane I could wrap them with. They should stay relatively dry under the overhangs.

They'd probably last my lifetime no matter what but if I can help them..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.