Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Busy Week at the Cabin
CaptainJ
# Posted: 8 May 2011 18:47

Well I just spent the last 10 days down at the cabin trying (in between rain storms) to get a number of projects done, Including, gutters, downspouts, rain water collection system, outside shower, outside composting privy, steps down to fire pit area, cut some firewood from deadfalls and general grounds cleanup. I'll attach some pics of what I got done.

First was the gutters and downspouts. Installed gutters down both sides and output one into three barrels. I lucked out on the gutters, the lumber yard, had Brown gutters on sale for $10 per 10' section, VS $23 normal price. Seems they were overstocked on brown, which is what I wanted anyway. Two of the barrels are typical 'blue' barrels I got for $10 each and a third commercial rain barrel I found at a garage sale for $13. Had to build a platform for them, from 2X10's and cement blocks after creating a mostly level gravel bed to put the on. The hose valves cost me almost as much as the barrels, but one good rain and I had 140 gallons of rain water as all filled quickly.

The outside shower, is built on a base of recycled 2X6's, and some some wood from the 'cull bin' at Home Depot, the floor is decking planks that were 4' long and the sides are some leftover T1-11 I had in my garage from a shed I built at home. I made the floor extend beyond the enclosure, so that I had a place to put my Zodi portable water heater and the 5 gal bucket(s), I use to hold the water supply.

The steps are again mostly recycled lumber, except the actual step treads, which again came from the 'cull bin' at Home Depot, or $1 each. Someone had them cut the standard 4' treads to 3' and then didn't buy them. So I saved about $3.50 for each tread.

A friend of mine in the printing business talked his boss out of four shipping skids to use at home for a project but never got it done. He mentioned he was going to throw them away! My response was 'Throw them in the back of my truck!" They're 3'X4' with oak planking and 6"X8" oak runners under them. One can be seen beside my temporary firewood rack. Another became the base for my new privy. I still have to finish the front and make a door, but the basic structure got done in one day (again between rain showers). The main cost there was 4 sheets of T1-11 siding, one sheet of CDX 1/2 roof, some 6' cull 2/4's and a couple of new 2/4's and firing strips to use as trim. I still need to paint it and finish the roof also, but the basic structure is done. Inside is a wood box, made from scrap 2x2's and plywood, I've still got to cut the hole in the top, for the bucket below and attach a toilet seat, I got from the sale rack at K-mart for $5.

Seems I'm getting good as scrounging and I seem to haunt the sale and clearance racks when I go to hardware, used furniture, and slow down for garage and yard sales these days, looking for good deals on anything I might be able to use.

CaptainJ
# Posted: 8 May 2011 18:49

Here are the pics of my projects
Proj6.JPG
Proj6.JPG
Proj4.JPG
Proj4.JPG
Proj3.JPG
Proj3.JPG
Proj5.JPG
Proj5.JPG

CaptainJ
# Posted: 8 May 2011 18:51

More Pics
Proj0.JPG
Proj0.JPG
Proj1.JPG
Proj1.JPG
Proj2.JPG
Proj2.JPG

Mike 870
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 11:13

Hey CaptainJ looks good. Hope you are still in the forum. I have land near you, maybe we can meet up at Drakes sometime for lunch and a 5 cent coke?

hueyjazz
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 11:51

My outside shower is one of my favorite features of my cabin. just something about having a hot shower while watching nature. Or nature watching you

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.