Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Generator Shed
Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 07:25

Hello, everyone.

With left over materials from building the cabin, I decided to build a shed to house a small inverter generator that would not only protect it from the weather, but also keep it as quiet as possible. It was easier to build it in the barn then haul it up to the cabin in the woods. The generator is a Wen inverter type with 1800 running watts and an eco-mode (quiet/efficiency mode). It's not pictured, but will set on the sliding shelf inside. Also, I still have to run wiring over to it, as well as the ground. For now, I'm going to get by with an extension cord.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 09:11

nice work! That looks really great!

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 10:17

Might be so quiet you forget its running
I was thinking about just such, though a bit smaller, last weekend. Smaller, now I wonder why? There is Always Something that needs to be put under cover/secured!

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 10:26

So, I discovered there is a way to upload a video and
I'm going to try it here for the sake of showing a video that has sound to demonstrate how well the shed contains the noise of the generator. The link is to a sight called WeTransfer, that allows an upload of a video. There is a verification process to get the link to work. Hopefully the administrators will let this work out. The link only works for seven days.

Here is the link to a video of the generator running inside the shed:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/53efb318397bf0b7d1f5be2e9372847120211012141313/0b0b6 7cecb3888953438b83f769af93620211012141429/115201

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 10:32

Okay, so I just tried the link and it worked well.

Maybe others will use it to upload videos of their projects or progress. The only downside is that the free uploads expired in seven days, unless you have a paid membership. It's kind of cool, though.

Tim

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 10:33

Oh, also, I meant to apologize for my video skills. It was a quick one and I didn't give it much thought.

Tim

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 11:49

Nice shed! Quiet!

Just make sure you get enough air movement to keep it cool. I don't have a fan on mine but 5 ~10" x ~14" vents, upper/lower and one in the floor under the generator (HF 3500 Predator ), in the summer I need to leave the door open... actually I leave it open anytime I'm running it except winter. The fan is a good idea.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 11:57

Nice little shed. I plan on building an insulated box around the generator and have a fan blowing across it when it running. Louvered door flap to open when running for hot air to exhaust.
I have a rigid brand 8kw with a Subaru 4 stroke generator for our house. I extended the muffler outside. I made a flange to match the one off the block with some 1/8" steel. It had a 1" ID hole for exhaust so I welded on a 16" nipple of 1" black pipe with another flange to bolt the muffler back on to. Used some galvanized flashing to build a burn proof collar around the pipe going out the wall.
At the generator shed at our cabin 8''12', I insulated it. And have a small air conditioner to hang on it so I have a walk in meat locker. Kinda nice if you you use your cabin for hunting

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 12:24

My 'quick & dirty' this year might only be some straw bales making a 3 sided roofed almost enclosure (open end pointed away from cabin for the exhaust).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.