Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Albemarle-Scuppernong Cabin Project
Scott_T
# Posted: 24 May 2011 10:07 - Edited by: Scott_T

In March I bought 20 acres of flat, swampy (pocosin) land along Albemarle Sound near the mouth of the Scuppernong River in North Carolina. Approximately 4 acres are suitable for a cabin and in April I made a trip down with my brother and my son to start developing it. To be sure one is quickly reminded of how insignificant human endeavor can be when you start the work. The land was cleared of trees 6-7 years ago but, boy has the regrowth been fast! Here in the South trees grow at breakneck speed. We were thinning dozens of 3-4" diameter trees and clearing trails through the brush was like whacking through a jungle. We stayed at a cottage within 5 miles of the property and spent some time at the Outer Banks (not all work ;-)). Also to make things a little bit more fun for my son during the toil my neighbor next to me (who sold me the land) graciously loaned his swamp buggy (aka "Max") for some joy riding adventures along a utility easement beside my property. Hope to get down there again in June.
entrance to property from state highway
entrance to property from state highway
brush landscape along north property boundary
brush landscape along north property boundary
looking east - to right is likely place for cabin
looking east - to right is likely place for cabin
evening relaxation at the cottage we rented nearby - Albemarle Sound shoreline
evening relaxation at the cottage we rented nearby - Albemarle Sound shoreline

bobrok
# Posted: 24 May 2011 10:26

Scott_T

I remember your thread back when you were looking. Congratulations on the purchase.
I love Coastal Carolina. Have fun!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 May 2011 10:29

great pic's............looks like good time was had by all.

Scuppernang
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 15:20

I'm only now stumbling across this, was wondering how you found your parcel? I have been searching maddeningly for a piece of swampland in coastal NC or Tidewater VA to no avail. Any leads you can point me to would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Scott_T
# Posted: 3 Aug 2011 19:02

Quoting: Scuppernang
Any leads you can point me to

Check listings at Valentine Land & Timber.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.