Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Nothing fance but got a good start
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 29 May 2011 19:13 - Edited by: neb

Took a few days off and got started on Thursday. I needed to get in there before the rain. First day just packed material in. Friday hammered away. Sat. hauled in more material and half day of construction. Sun. did condtruction about a half day. I got the tar paper on the roof and doubled it up. I have 4 large windows and a door. The worst thing was packing all the material in which is about 130 yards and all up hill and winding.

Just
# Posted: 29 May 2011 19:27

very nice neb!!! u r in the dry,, life gets better from here on ..

mrmiji
# Posted: 29 May 2011 20:05 - Edited by: mrmiji

I know what you're going to do there.... I'd be guarding that coulee running from the water to the ridge.

smitty
# Posted: 29 May 2011 20:38

Looks like a good start to me.. Cabin high five!!

neb
# Posted: 29 May 2011 21:28

Quoting: mrmiji
I'd be guarding that coulee running from the water to the ridge.

You know there is so much wildlife in this draw that is why I built here. I have so many differant places I could have built this shack and I really don't know why I finally picked this setting. The one thing when you are inside the shack the viewing is great. I"m a tired old man I can tell you that. I had some help on Thursday to carry some material bu the rest has been me and me along and my body tells me so. I set all walls by myself and installed plywood before I set them. I had some trouble getting wall moved and in place by myself and God was watching me I know that for sure. It called for rain and everything worked for me. I should have it rain proof I hope.

naturelover66
# Posted: 29 May 2011 21:30

Beautiful Spot you have there........ Great job !!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 May 2011 22:03

neb---you da man!!!!!......awesome camp!!!!! and awesome view!!!!!..............lots of game too!!!!!!.....my kinda place!!!!!!

neb
# Posted: 29 May 2011 22:39

turkeyhunter

Everyday I was in there I seen deer and they just layed in the tree's while I was working. I seen one in the afternoon get up from a bed and just wondered around eating. With all the hammering and noise you would of thought they would of been out of there. I heard turkey's but didn't see them. I heard them 3 of the 4 days but couldn't see them but really was to busy tryiing to get it weather proofed. Not to sure when I will get back I have things going on next weekend. Good to here from you turkeyhunter.

dvgchef
# Posted: 29 May 2011 23:32

Looks great! Keep up the good work!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 May 2011 08:48

Quoting: neb
I heard turkey's but didn't see them. I heard them 3 of the 4 days

i need to remember this location next SPRING!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

neb, are you using metal for the roof????
what will be on the exterior????

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 30 May 2011 11:44

Neb,
Beautiful site.
Mult questions:
size?, plans for interior?, water source?, power source?

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 12:18

It is 10x10 and will not finish the inside for now. It will have 4 big windows and a door. All the windows and door are covered with ply for now and will cut out when I install them. Keep the weather out that way. I will have no water or power. I will use a small solar system for light.

Not sure what I will use for siding but will use 3 foot roll out shingle for the roof. I have a plan but can change and build as I go.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 30 May 2011 14:29

I have read that the life of roll out shingles are only 6 - 12 years. Is that not a concern? Have you heard of solar roll-out shingles? Something new on the market.

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 14:52 - Edited by: neb

I have not heard that about the shingles. I did talk to a roofer and he said they would last the same as a tab shingle maybe he didn't know for sure. Right now I need to get the shack up and running and down the road I could still metal roof it. I know a guy that has metal roof and has some problems also. The snow in this country is heavy and wet and can loosen up the screws when it slides down. Also from a roof contractor he said that the rubber washer on the screw for metal roofing is only good for 8 to 10 years. This rubber washer breaks down from outdoor exposure and the seal breaks down and leaks. I really don't know what is best. I guess for me I will asphalt single for now and they are the heavy shingle and will last for a while. My body maybe ready for more construction in 10 years.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 30 May 2011 15:03

I ran across an site discussing the solar shingles yesterday. It looked worth looking into.
Last year, Mom decided to replace shingles with metal roof. With all the recent bad weather (storms with wind and hail up to baseball size) the metal roof has taken a beating. But still hanging in.
My in-laws shingle roof on the other hand, has suffered a beating. Are currently looking at replacing. They want 30 year shingles but at 88 and 84, is that really necessary? Don't think so....

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 16:53

That is interesting on your mom and in-laws. I'm not sure what to do and it does hail in this country that is for sure. I would think metal would be the thing to but up for hail. I will check out the price of metal and see what to do. I just remember I have some metal roofing at the farm and maybe I have enough to do the roof.

I did read up on the solar shingles and they seem interesting but not sure if the aplication is for me.

Montanan
# Posted: 30 May 2011 19:02

Looking good! I can relate to packing all the materials in. We'll be doing the same thing next weekend, as our "road" is too muddy to drive on and needs to sit and dry for a few weeks (if this blasted rain will ever quit.) We'll be hauling lumber, tar paper, and windows and doors up a winding hill of about 200 yards.

We're planning a metal roof. Thanks for the info on the rubber washers on the screws...though I'm not sure what we can do about it.

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 19:37 - Edited by: neb

Montanan

Yep the packing is the part for sure. I do think metal would be the way to go. I'm just thinking packing some more things in there. The roll shingle I can get in there easy. As for the rubber washer under the screw that is something you may have to watch for. There isn't anything that will last forever. Tin roofs and asphalt roofs all have there pro's and con's and will all have their own problems. I still might tin my I have sometime to think about it. I have the tin but then I need to cut in there and I have no power. I will need a good hand tool.

Good luck in packing things in keep us informed also have fun.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 May 2011 20:40 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I have the tin but then I need to cut in there and I have no power

i would try to use a rechargable skill saw, with a metal cutting blade.
I have the kit from home depot.....and the skill saw has come in handy.

rubber washer on the screw for metal roofing is only good for 8 to 10 years. This rubber washer breaks down from outdoor exposure and the seal breaks down and leaks

i have always worried about this, i built my barn, about 9 years ago, no problem yet....i wanted metal for "the look" and to hear a good rain......when it's cool this fall, a good rain on the roof and it will put ya to sleep.

note: on the roll roofing-- my Dad built a barn, in the early 70's........and put it on the outside walls over 1 x 6's pine- run on a 45 deg angle, it was still on it till last fall, when my brother, tore it off and put up conc board. it lasts....... the roof is regular galv tin with lead headed roofing nails, still on there. and does not leak, been painted twice with kool seal,

bobrok
# Posted: 30 May 2011 21:10

I had roll roofing on my flat carport roof at my house and that lasted maybe 5 years in the weather and snow. I was going to replace it like for like when a contractor suggested a rubber roof. I went for it and it has lasted for 20 + years with absolutely NO signs of wear and tear. I am amazed at how resilient it is. And if I ever get a tear I can do a hot seal patch.

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 21:16

turkeyhunter

I do believe matal or roll roofing has it pro's and it's con's. There is nothing in this world that is prefect or will last forever. When I talked to a few contractors each have there own thought's on this. Like you said the barn was just nailed with galv nails and no rubber washers and this maybe better then rubber washers breaking down from weather. I have a shed for my old tractor I put up 15 years ago and I believe it has rubber washers and have no problems. I do know that I chalked each nail head that was exposed. It may have a small drip here and there but no big deal. As for asphalt roll out shingle it will last for sometime and they say 30 years in good conditions. Well there is no good conditions in those Yellowstone breaks. The weather is non forgiving and at it's worst 9 month's out of the year. Again thanks for the input and not sure what to do for roof and siding yet. I do have the tin for the roof I went to the farm and checked.

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 21:20 - Edited by: neb

bobrok

Say do you know what the cost of that would be and can a rookie put this stuff down?

Also on the roll out roofing they said to tar each over lap and all sides and nail. I would also black jack all nail heads that are exposed. The problem with a total flat roof is that the water will run any direction and will find a gap somewhere and the problem starts it's process after time. I do believe with some pitch would help some but not totally sure. I was not much of a flat roof person because water just stands and can not shed. Thanks for your experiences that is why this is a great site with great people.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:00

I didn't put mine down, but that was back in the day when I didn't know too much about stuff like this, neb.
Unfortunately I also can't help with today's cost for something like this, and I have no idea how much I spent so long ago, but I can tell you it was probably very comparable with roll roofing otherwise I wouldn't have opted to do it.
I can't see any reason why, if you can build a cabin, you couldn't put a rubber roof down. I really wish I had a better memory of the process, but, as I said, it was many moons ago and I was kind of a bystander to the action. Today...I would absolutely do my own as opposed to hiring it out.
I can't say enough of how impressed I am with the roof on my carport, though. 20+ years and nowhere nearneeding repair.

On your other subjects, I have metal roofing/screws on my cabin and it was built in 1998. No leaks, no drips, no errors so far. And we get a lot of snow in NY as well. I am happy with it, and I LOVE the rain [:-) turkeyhunter]

Montanan
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:28

I have the tin but then I need to cut in there and I have no power. I will need a good hand tool.

Yeah, we don't have power either (yet.) My husband just bought a small generator so we can at least charge the rechargeable tools...but we'll have to pack that in too!

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:58

Thanks again for the experiences and all your thought's not to disagree or agree but when we put all the idea's togather that makes progress. If all thoght the same the world wouldn't have made progress. Thanks again.

neb
# Posted: 31 May 2011 22:59

Well I ordered the tin today for the roof. You all have have been a lot of help. The metal roof will be the best and will last the longest so why not. The roll out like som eof you said isn't that good. Thanks.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 07:10

Neb, good deal on the metal, what color???
i got the hunter green, and i really like it.
i know the silver/galv color would have been better in the summer.
I went and picked mine up at a place they make it --cost me about $875 for the roof/with ridge cap and screws. ( i watched them make it --amazing how they do it.)

neb
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 23:45

Forrest Green and maybe the same in color as your's. The cost for me was 270.00 with all the rimmings. I will be out of town for a few days then I hope to hammer away on Sat. if weather permits.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 3 Jun 2011 15:34

You can cut roofing metal with hand held tin snips.
If you use a grinder or sawsall the cut edge tends to show rust.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Jun 2011 19:32 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: littlesalmon4
You can cut roofing metal with hand held tin snips

but i can't cut it STRAIGHT with snips............
now skill saw with a metal blade or just but the blade on BACKWARDS, and put the factory edge to the drip edge and the newly cut edge under the ridge cap..............just a thought :-)

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.