Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Railing
travellerw
# Posted: 17 Oct 2022 12:14 - Edited by: travellerw

I thought I would post a picture of the railing we built. Its not a traditional railing, but I think it came out great. Welding/painting all the balusters was a lot of work but the rest was super simple. If you bought the balusters this would be a very easy and quick railing to put up.
MicrosoftTeamsimage.jpg
MicrosoftTeamsimage.jpg
MicrosoftTeamsimage.jpg
MicrosoftTeamsimage.jpg

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 17 Oct 2022 14:10

I love that railing!

I'm redoing my deck in the next couple of years and want to do a railing just like it. However, they are illegal in Ontario due to the fact that horizontal wires could be used as a ladder for children. All guides must be vertical

travellerw
# Posted: 17 Oct 2022 14:25

Quoting: KelVarnsen
However, they are illegal in Ontario due to the fact that horizontal wires could be used as a ladder for children. All guides must be vertical

Yup, Ontario has not adopted the 2015 National Building codes yet. Here in Alberta it was adopted in 2019 and you can have horizontal wires as long as the second level is not more than 13'9" above the first level.

However, if you really want that look, you could still do it and just put glass or poly-carbonate sheets on the inside. That would meet the "climability" restrictions.

WILL1E
# Posted: 18 Oct 2022 08:34

Very nice!! Did you buy special tools for doing the cable portion?

travellerw
# Posted: 19 Oct 2022 15:07

Quoting: WILL1E
Very nice!! Did you buy special tools for doing the cable portion?

To get a nice finish you need at least a hydraulic crimper. They aren't that expensive (about $90cdn) and can be used for crimping wire too. It has been great for crimping the heavy guage wires on my solar stuff too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.