Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / we are getting ready to go
cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 00:00

we are getting ready this week to head to our place in the woods.
it gets me to dreaming about what we will have one day.
i was reading hellen and scott nearings book today.i think it is called "continuing the good life".
In this book they talk of a cash crop.From what i read it seems they had the kind of weather we have up at Chemult,oregon.SO their cash crop was blueberries.I was thinking we have this whole meadow in which we could make ready the soil for blueberries.I have noticed there is not alot of fruit up that way.And if a deer comes to eat the berries.hee hee hee.thats even better.
so thinking of going to our cabin today got me planning and dreaming about what we will do this weekend when there and in the future.
one thing is getting the hand pump in.the next is getting the kitchen going.
do u ever look forward to the wonderful thought of living and being out in the woods or your property and day dreaming about it all?
i sure do.
this will be the first time since we bought the connecting property that we can actually walk all around cause there will be no snow what so ever.
what is the next biggest dream u have for your place??
gar mentioned some propane hot water heaters.i sure want to check into those.they seem really reasonable.and a green house.i just cannt wait to get out there.i am baking and cooking and packing starting tomorrow.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 02:19

I was actually looking for blueberries that would thrive up in that weather. I know they can be cold hardy because I used to hike through them up in Denali Alaska. I did a little research and learned that the tundra berries are actually called bog bilberry. I can't find anyone that sells them down here though. If you stumble upon a variety of actual blueberry that would do well up in the cascades, please let me know. I have a little wetland and was also thinking about some lowbush cranberry plants.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 06:56

Hank,i will be on the lookout.U have reminded me i may be getting ahead of myself.We have yet to be there thru all seasons.I do need to see how that back meadow does.
I know blueberries do well in cold cause i use to live in Upper peninsula Michigan and they were everywhere.
I dont think we have wetland there but i do know we will have to haul in some good soil.Then add things to the soil like sawdust or pine needles for acid as blueberries love acid.
I am going to look up bog bilberries.thanks for the tip!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 09:21

oh.i forgot.I am getting our shower going this time.its warm enough to find the solar shower bag and get it going with shower curtains all about.My plan is to get a flooring down and then sting rope around 4 trees and then thread the shower curtains thru the string rope.And then hang the solar shower.This time is a longer stay than most and i am sure we will appreciate getting a shower a time or two.
or i could just nail up 4 shower curtains about the trees.time to head to the dollar store for some not see thru shower curtains.
i want to make it close to the outhouse cause then they would both be sort of close to the cabin.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 09:32

http://www.albertahomegardening.com/17-hardy-fruits-that-you-can-grow-on-the-prairies /

i think i read somewhere that if your temps get to minus 20 in the winter-u may need to have blueberry plants in containers.
so i think we can plant blueberries and regular stuff...but not tell we live up there.thats the sad part.we could be growing fruit trees right now and when move up there-the fruit trees could already be producing.But we need to be there to protect from critters and make sure the trees and bushes get watered.soo it wil be a while i suppose for this one.so i study on all of this in the meantime.
Hank,i looked up the billberry.it sure does look like a blueberry.thanks for this info.

hattie
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 11:51

cabingal3 - I am so excited for you and GaryO...Sounds like you have lots of work ahead of you. *S*

We tried blueberries here for a few years. I don't think the cold bothered them as much as the soil. They really need an acidic soil. We used pine needles and even an acidic fertilizer, but they just didn't do much so we pulled them out.

It would be nice if you could start your fruit trees even though you aren't there full time. You could probably protect them with chicken wire. Don't just leave them with nothing or the deer and bears will get them.

When a bear decides to raid a tree here, first they eat all the fruit and then they eat the tree. Our neighbour has lost an apple tree and a mature plum tree to bears over the years. Last fall a bear got at our apple tree but I think Hubby managed to save it. The bear ripped part of the trunk open so Hubby put wax on it. The tree seems healthy this year but no blossoms. I think it is in healing mode. I don't mind sharing my fruit with the wildlife but I draw the line when they eat the tree too. *S*

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 12:16

Hi hattie! its good to see u.
well yeah.i want to.i notice that alot that live there full time have chicken wire over there flower beds of bulbs planted.There was one fellow who had fruit trees planted there and he had little chicken wire frame around them and now i see he has a big fence around his trees...all of this is fine.the thing that worries me is we get down there several times a year and they need watering in between those times.so the watering is the big ticket important item they fruit trees and bushes would surely need.
i grow blueberrries here at our home in town.i love them so.and rhubarb.i want to grow rhubarb out there.i have not looked up how much cold it can take.i would imagen alot of cold.just have to be out there to water consistently.

oh i wil share my blueberries and whatever i have but i will shoot it and eat it.be it a deer or rabbit or squirrel gal.hee hee.hugs rae

and i hope your tree is alright-it sure does sound it is in the healing mode.yay...

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 15:54

baking ginger cookies for the camp right now.packing up things getting ready for the big day!
taking my knitting,foods and books and paint.the cast iron bear head bottle opener and the new hummingbird feeder gar got us for our anniversary.got to make red sugar or red honey water into nectar for the feeder.

naturelover66
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 21:12

Hey Cabi !! Glad to hear you can spend some time up at the Cabin !! I planted several blue berry bushes up at our cabin in Northern Michigan and they do very well as long as Bears dont find them. Chicken wire is the thing......... and we also plan to plant Pear and Apple trees next year.
You lived in the Upper Peninsula ?? Pretty up there huh?
Have a wonderful time and please dont forget to take pictures. I share your excitement and also day dream of my little place in Paradise. xoxoxxo lisa

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 21:15

i hope ya'll have a good trip to the woods and get a lot of work down at your camp. E N J O Y!!!!
and bring us back some pic's!!!!!! ;-)

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:03

Naturelover...i lived up at Kinceloe air force base as a child.i so loved Michighan.went to school on the base and also at Rudyard.the spelling may be wrong on the school.its been a long time.love it there so.yeah.we picked blueberries up there at some camp and sure enough a bear on the other side of the bushes eating away.hee hee.
yes...hattie suggested to get the trees going now.she is so right.i have to hold myself back cause i know they would need watering.I may talk to one of the locals we know out there who does not live there year round and see how he waters his trees...theres an idea.
thanks turkeyhunter so much.we sure will have a good time working out at the place.
we are putting some shelves in the cabin and half a loft to store winter coats and sweaters and such.get them out of the way.and do the pump and try to ply the timbers out from under a camper for the starting of the kitchen .
and paint the cabin floor.
so we will be busy.we always say all this we want to do.thats the young us talking.the old us will do about half of this stuff.hee hee hee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 13:59

Been baking and packing.thank goodness today is not as hot as yesterday when i was baking.
made more cookies.i put everything in them but the kitchen sink.There is nuts,chopped up raisins and dates and coconut and spices and applesauce.
I am all happy.going to the camp.
stopped off at the post office to mail out some of Gars books that my friends ordered.well i was talking to the post office fellow and told him of gars book.i was telling him the title and then telling him it was on cabin building and on funny things and not so funny.Like when there was a rabid cat and i was gonna cut its head off.He told me rabbit is good if cooked right.i got a real tickle out of this.hee hee hee.
so over and out!

Rob_O
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 14:42

Have a safe and enjoyable trip

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 16:47

thanks Rob_O.
we sure will.will bring pictures back.
hope all is well with u.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.