Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Preping deck for stain
Nobadays
# Posted: 4 May 2023 18:48

I'm probably late to the game here... many of you likely know this. Oxalic Acid.... it's a wonder cleaner!

Our back deck though covered was grayed out really bad, looked ugly. We want to stain it but it was so gray that just putting stain on it was not going to help it blend into the new wrap around deck wood. I was not looking forward to sanding a 10' x 26' deck! Saw something on YouTube about using Oxalic Acid to clean and brighten the wood. Of course on YouTube it looked great.... but does it really work? I can now say yes! It didn't make the wood new but this deck has been weathering for over 10 years and now the gray is gone. I did two applications, the first basically sprayed it on with a garden sprayer, let it soak until it started to dry in spots, then hosed it off, no pressure washing. The second coat I let it dry then hosed it off. Definitely like the results and have no reservations about staining it once it dries thoroughly.

BTW... Oxalic Acid is a natural, plant based product so pretty environmentally friendly. It's still Acid so treat it as such... gloves, eye protection and one of those those COVID masks. Mix 1 2/3 cups Oxalic crystals to 1 gallon of hot water. Hope this helps somebody!

Nobadays
# Posted: 4 May 2023 19:34

Before and after.
IMG_0606.jpg
IMG_0606.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 4 May 2023 21:26

Yep
Great stuff. The deck looks great too.

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 May 2023 09:11 - Edited by: Nobadays

The guy I figured that had used this stuff!

I was so taken by the results I had to share. Guessing I'm not the only one with deck cleaning on their to-do list! Possibly other actual "cleaners" out there that might take off the worst of it, especially on uncovered decks, but for a covered deck with no moss or major dirt problem this worked well. In reality I think Oxalic Acid isn't considered a "cleaner" as much as a stain remover, wood bleach or lightener. Works as a rust remover too I read... actually I think there are lots of uses for it.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 May 2023 09:20

Do you know if it works on shingles to remove moss?

I have some moss growth I'm trying to get rid of. I tried useing 1yr old bleach cut 1:1 with a little dish soap. Didnt really work but it's only been 24hrs.

travellerw
# Posted: 5 May 2023 11:50

Quoting: Brettny
Do you know if it works on shingles to remove moss?

It will remove moss, but will probably take more than one application to get rid of it completely and remove the "green" color. The first application will turn the moss to "goo" and allow it to wash away. The second application will remove the staining.

Oxalic has so many uses.
1. Remove stains from concrete.
2. Remove rust stains from fiberglass and stainless steel.
3. Remove rust from old tools, metal objects.
4. Clean tile/grout in a shower stall
5. Strong mix in a sprayer to clean fiberglass boat hulls

And many many more.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 May 2023 20:30

Does it do anything to aluminum?

ICC
# Posted: 5 May 2023 22:53

I believe that anodized aluminum, with no scratches or defects will be safe for a "while". That may depend on the concentration of the oxalic acid solution. The naturally occuring oxidized surface of mill finish aluminum should, I think, offer protection sufficient for whatever splashes may occur when cleaning a deck. I would not want to use an aluminum pot for mixing or storing the solution. But I cannot be responsible for problems that might occur.

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 May 2023 23:53

Sounds like Travellerw and ICC know way more than I do. Google may be a good idea too.

I was amazed again this morning when I did the last section. Now let it dry a couple days then stain. Mid 50's here, low humidity and windy so it has dried fast already.

Before and after on the last bit taken at the same place.
IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg

travellerw
# Posted: 6 May 2023 00:47

Quoting: Brettny
Does it do anything to aluminum?

Yup.. Eats it up, and pretty quick. Anodized technically would be ok, but even a little scratch will lead to corrosion.

Aluminum and Acid.. No good.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 May 2023 06:51

Well that's not good for any flashing or gutters.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.