Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New yard!
Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Jun 2023 19:06

So it's going on two years since we widened our drive/parking area and put the over burden to the west of the cabin to form a flat area for lawn and a fire pit. Finally it has settled, been leveled and now sod is down.... instant lawn! Only took 4 of us about 2.5 hours to lay 950sqft of sod. Went way faster than I thought it would! Why sod? Everyone I know up here including myself has had horrible luck getting seed to take. So we took a gamble on sod. We'll see next summer if it pays off.

Since we haul our water, I'm going to be busy! Monsoons should start in the next couple of weeks then the rain will take care of our grass.
70976954936__DC711C2.jpg
70976954936__DC711C2.jpg
70976931165__ADFD63E.jpg
70976931165__ADFD63E.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 29 Jun 2023 23:34

There is something about a nice patch of nice even green grass that is very satisfying. If you want a grass lawn, sod is the best way to go, IMO. From seed can work but can be iffy much of the time as you have found out.

Or you can do as I do and go natural; mixes of native grasses and flowers and let 'em grow tall as they will do.

We used to have a sod-growing operation. It takes about a year; fertilizer applications, weed killer, and regular irrigation.

Nobadays
# Posted: 30 Jun 2023 08:04

Quoting: ICC
There is something about a nice patch of nice even green grass that is very satisfying.

There is! We haven't had any kind of lawn since 2003. Between living overseas in "concrete jungles" then moving to AZ where our place has no grass... just rock and our flower gardens. It's really nice to have a bit of lawn. The rest of our land is wild mountain grasses and flowers which we enjoy as well! Now if I can keep enough water on it for it to root properly. At least monsoon season is at hand.

I know we will be questioned about having a lawn at the cabin... but this is our primary residence. We snowbird to AZ for 3-4 months in the dead of winter.

DaveBell
# Posted: 30 Jun 2023 09:01

Quoting: ICC
There is something about a nice patch of nice even green grass that is very satisfying.

Psychology of colors. Green is very calming. I like the smell of fresh cut lawn.

jsahara24
# Posted: 30 Jun 2023 11:35

Looks good and I agree it is nice to have some lawn areas..... You are onto something with keeping it watered, very critical to getting it to establish.....

Having said that, I have way too much lawn areas in my life.....For some reason the wife loves them, but to me it can quickly become a waste of time and money to keep everything manicured.....So I'm trying to educate her on the benefits of letting things grow...

Enjoy and keep watering especially right after installation!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.