Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Log Shanty.
Lance Skene
# Posted: 21 Jul 2023 19:22

I plan to rebuild this old log shanty into a usable cabin... its up on blocks and the floor is in decent condition, has an addition off the back that was probably used for wood storage at some point, and also includes a cistern. Logs are about 5" dia and were at one time covered with lath and a grass/mud plaster inside and out, its divided into two rooms approx 12x12 each but will cut an opening between the two... it does need the roof redone asap which I will do with metal.

Cant say if it was built here or moved onto the property but Im guessing it would be near 100 yrs old and still a very sturdy structure in general.

The property is an old farm yard in Saskatchewan, 11 acres with several buildings but most are in very rough condition, including the house which I plan to demolish... first couple weeks Ive spent cutting down 4'-5' weeds and cleaning out a garage so I have some place to put my tools and have a little work space.
032.JPG
032.JPG
006.JPG
006.JPG
031.JPG
031.JPG
035.JPG
035.JPG

frankpaige
# Posted: 21 Jul 2023 20:43

Keep us apprised of the progress. Bet you will have fun.
My question to those in the area? Does demoing the house cause any issue with the municipality? Building seems to have it’s own set of issues there.
Enjoy the process.

Lance Skene
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 10:57

In this case the folks at the RM office are just happy to see someone is cleaning the place up... the foundation under the house is crumbling, there has been a renter growing pot in it for a few years, and recently there was a litter of racoons living in it.... basically the entire place was left in a mess... but it was priced accordingly.... I could double my investment just by cutting the weeds and cleaning out all the garbage.

The property consists of the house and 13 other buildings including the garage I just cleaned out, a larger shop, a barn, an old two room schoolhouse and several wood granaries.... seems one of the previous owners was a building mover by trade so many of these buildings he probably got for free and just dragged them home, set them on blocks and used them for storage. A few are beyond repair so I'll demo those and salvage what I can.

spencerin
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 22:52

I'd love to see pictures of all the buildings, especially the schoolhouse.

Lance Skene
# Posted: 23 Jul 2023 00:25

don t have a good pic of the schoolhouse yet but its behind the shop in the first pic...
008.JPG
008.JPG
002.JPG
002.JPG
010.JPG
010.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG

Lance Skene
# Posted: 23 Jul 2023 00:33

found some harrows in the weeds so dragged them on the driveway with my '74 Columbia garden tractor..

the '38 Oliver tractor on steel wheels came with the property..
009.JPG
009.JPG
030.JPG
030.JPG
003.JPG
003.JPG
024.JPG
024.JPG

Lance Skene
# Posted: 25 Jul 2023 17:43

couple pics inside the shanty.... this just one half of the shanty... each side is identical but Ive only got one side cleaned out so far.... each side is divided into two rooms by a partition wall with a slotted door frame such as you would see on an old wood grainary... main room is about 10x12 and the smaller partition is about 4x12...
001.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
003.JPG

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 26 Jul 2023 08:53

Whatever you do cleaning up, wear a mask or respirator. The dust you stir up can have a lot
of bad things in it. It can contain viruses from rodent droppings or other unhealthy stuff. Don't take a chance, ever.

Whiskerbiscuit
# Posted: 26 Jul 2023 12:12

That's quite the interesting addition / roofline on photo #008.

Lance Skene
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 01:12

pic 008 appears to be two buildings splice together and sits on a brick foundation with a dirt floor... 18' x 40' with a 12' ceiling.... nice size for a shop... Im putting shelving on the back wall then I will empty the dump trailer.

have the log shanty mostly cleaned out and some of the trees around it cut down or trimmed back
006.JPG
006.JPG
009.JPG
009.JPG

Lance Skene
# Posted: 19 Oct 2023 12:55

Went back to work driving schoolbus in early sept so I havent gotten much done lately... been staying in the camper and running a generator for power. Picked apples and choke cherries, cleared some dead fall from a trail along the pond. Organized the garage and big shop.

Been seeing quite alot of moose and some deer, should be elk also but I havent seen one yet.
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Oct 2023 14:52

Your 'camper' digs look pretty comfy! Id be reluctant to give that up for shack livin.
I also wouldnt be running a gen for much except as/when needed.
Much of the rig must run the 120vac input from grid/shore or gen through a 'converter' that makes it 12vdc.
You can get that same 12v from your on-board bat bank IF you dont run the heavy loads, like fridge, through the onboard? 'inverter'.
My point: Separate elec power devices.
Run 12vdc through a small PSW inverter for LED light, small tv and/or radio, even toaster (short run time).
Only the big draw stuff get powered occasionally by the gen which then should also be charging the bat bank.
And maybe add some simple solar too.

Lance Skene
# Posted: 19 Oct 2023 19:05

the trailer is comfy but too much trouble to heat thru a sask winter.

I have been off grid since I moved here in early aug but there is power to the property and I do plan to have it turned on soon... just havent really needed it much yet so Ive just been using the gen as needed... and there is a well on the property so once the power is on I will have water.... but there isnt natural gas so Im putting a wood stove in the log cabin and I may add propane in the future.

Lance Skene
# Posted: 30 Oct 2023 13:25

Well the snow has arrived. Lol

couple pics inside the east half of the shanty... I want to cut an archway thru the center dividing wall then save the rest of it to show how the building was constructed.... each half also has a smaller partition that I will delete or move as needed.
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.