Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Cabin projects for the New Year
Nobadays
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 11:27

I keep saying every year I'm going to do more hiking, fishing and exploring, and I do hope to accomplish that this year. That said, there are projects!

Rebuild our solar ground mount with 1000w fixed @45°/50° rdirect to the cabin and 750w for the shop on a movable mount so they can be set vertical for winter. This will include trenching and conduit across the driveway to the existing Combiner Box.

Finish the pole railings for the loft and install... my wife still needs to peel the rails, has the balusters done ( an advantage to being one armed! )

Finish my lower access road and gravel it

Clear down trees.... ~ 5 aspen trees, maybe cut/remove 2 more dead aspens.

Hopefully... build a small pole building <200sqft to slip under county permit requirements to house the JD1025R/ attachments, Tracker tracks and the snowmobile.

Maybe... replace the square beams (primarily cosmetic) in the cabin for peeled logs. (They would serve to hold the log walls from spreading/contracting but with roofed porches on both sides now the need is reduced and... the way they are installed the only thing that really supports the walls are the two screws... not even timberlocs.... in each end!)

That's my list.... what's up with you guys?

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 12:27

Gee wiz, got me feeling tired just reading that LMAO.

Hmm, not in order:
- Setup new 2370W solar array with Classic-150 SCC.
- Redo 3 24V/280's & add 3 more 280's all with new steel cases & BMS etc. for a total of 1680AH/43kWh.
- Modify Powerhouse yet again for above + correct a roof issue. Final exterior finishing with cedar.
- Finish Toolshed internals & the external detail finishing with cedar.
- Build front porch w/skylight, screened & polycarb pop-in panels for winter. All cedar to match rest.
- Seacan - Roof +, undecided.

The powerhouse exterior finishing waited a bit because I needed to have the Toolshed up first before I decided on the final plan. These will continue with the Live Edge & Rough Cut white cedar but with lessons learned applied. The lower 3' will be brown tin but with a different profile. I'm also considering a couple of other options, this is mostly protect from splashback, critters but also for a "look" that's more unique.

This is my final build & do projects year and has to be done by fall. Small & minor things to continue after that but I'm done. I'm just into coasting for the next 2, 3 years if I'm lucky. I need this place to be "sale ready"....

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 12:52

Im finalizing the details on our contract build of the milled log 12.5x28 'moveable' cabin for delivery in the 'spring'.
But I will have to deconstruct at least the east half of the existing 16x24 'squirrel shack' to open the footprint for the new one; grade the ground better and a load of gravel level and packed. We wont be able to start on this until spring so they may be a crunch.
I will be better at decon than 'remodel' work....I think.
Yet this winter we need to burn the Huge slash pile, that will be an overnighter with burn permit time after 6pm with snow cover. Doesnt sound like much but it is a lot of hours and tiring in a total 'off schedule' way.
And I may have to spend 1/2 a day getting the snow out of the 320' drive to get in there (another JD1025R c/w fel and rear grading blade).
Once the new cabin is in place it will be moving our stuff in, completing the off-grid elec, piping the finalized LP, resetting the rain barrel system and the movable decks and tearing down the 2nd half of the existing one.
In between, if Im bored, I have at least 6 good sized Jack Pines to drop and start the new slash pile for 2024, more fire mitigation/clean up, etc.

mj1angier
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 14:53

Add 2 more 200w panels to the roof.

Have about 5 tress cut down by someone with skills ( close to cabins)

Finish digging well

Help build an extension on a cabin for a full bathroom

all the other normal fix-it stuff

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 19:05

OK, big year for me, power was installed, not tied to the cabin yet, but wire all buried in place inside 1" plastic conduit. Using a 30A 220V feed for the sub panel inside cabin. Grounds and neutrals all seperated and bonding screw out. Wire is in panel, not terminated. Other end is buried underground next to panel. About a few hours work, it will be powered up.

Running a full 50A 220V service to campsite #1 for the full 50/30/20 RV hookup, run an extension off the 20A leg to run transformer to run solar well with no sun.

Punching in another campsite close to power meter base, this will be camphost with a 20A 120V service. Spread the gravel into the new site. Have 40 yards in 2, 20 yard piles now.

Run fenceline for breaks, repair, cut any winter blowdowns down. I will groom the roads in my area where the power crossed in 3 spots, needs to be smooth.

Hey nobadays, maybe consider a container for your JD storage, its not taxable and you can get over 200 sq feet, toss on a roof to keep it cool and look nice.

I found the assessors card near my gate, he has not been there since the shelter and container was added. No increase in taxes.

Nobadays
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 23:25

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Hey nobadays, maybe consider a container for your JD storage, its not taxable and you can get over 200 sq feet, toss on a roof to keep it cool and look nice.

Unfortunately not allowed by our HOA.... fortunately not a very restrictive HOA or covenants but containers are not allowed.

We have an Amish metal roofing/shed/building company in the area. They designed me a 12'x16' "pole barn" with a trussed shed roof and wood siding, minus doors, open to one long side.. $2,700 delivered. May go with that as it will save a lot of work for me building conventional.

spencerin
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 21:38 - Edited by: spencerin

Finish excavating the crawlspace. Then, maybe spray foam the underside of the floor. That I may DIY, too, but I also may hire that out instead.

After that, I'm done with major projects for the foreseeable future....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.