Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Bought a abandon estate in Northern WI
BryceAW
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 11:04

Hello everyone, my name is Bryce and I bought my dream property after searching for years in the Bayfield WI area.

After living in a busy run down city on a busy highway with a train depo behind me for the last 13 years it was time to find some place remote. Durning C19 my job went remote so I sold the house and traveled for the last 3 years trying to find a place to settle that I could afford. WI ended up being that place, so here we are having just bought an estate with nearly zero information about it.

I was in CO when bidding in this place, never thought we had a chance. Here is that story if you are interested.

After looking at hundreds of properties I knew that even if the cabin was not in liveable condition the land was worth what I paid.

Details
4 acres square
5" 275ft well dug in 2015
Power
Septic with mound (2006)
300ft of lake shore
Private road

40x40 poll barn with another cabin built in 2015
40x16 Amish cabin built in 2015

I have been making a video series about the place for YouTube I'll share here if you want to follow along, otherwise I'll try to post updates here and there on this forum.

Moving in day video link

BryceAW
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 12:01

Here are a few pictures once we got things cleaned up a bit.
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0910.JPG
IMG_0910.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG

BryceAW
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 12:04

Forgot the cabin
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG

FishHog
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 17:22

Looks beautiful there. Congratulations and welcome

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 18:06 - Edited by: gcrank1

Looks like you will be living the dream now
Good vids too

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 19:00

If you dont mind me asking what did you pay. I work for a railroad and couldnt imagine living even 1/2mi from one. The noise is day and night.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 19:41 - Edited by: paulz

Nice! Sheesh power, septic, road already... sweet!

MJH
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 22:04

Congrats on the place. Looks great. Lots of Wisconsin folks on here. You'll love the area if you can learn to cope with the winters (it's the lack of sun that's the issue, not the cold or snow...)

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Feb 2024 23:12

Yeah that, Im a little SAD when the sun isn't coming up by 7am. But even when it should by 7 a lot of the time its overcast.
I have friends in Bayfield, visited there several times. Be sure to do the Apple Fest come fall.
Have other friends about 1hr west of Ely and 75mi south of Canada, 3rd generation iirc. They say they are 'meat eaters' since 2 weeks of summer isn't enough to grow veggies.

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 10 Feb 2024 14:23

Fun videos! Yep, gotta put those values in the closed positions before you turn the power on. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

Congratulations and it’s all worth it.

BryceAW
# Posted: 11 Feb 2024 19:03

Super kind replies from everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes.

Learning the hard way by jumping into the deep end of the pool is part of my education process.

MJH - I'm learning that very quickly.. January only had 1 day with clear skies. I'm from Fargo ND, so I'll take lack of sunlight over 30mph wind anyday.

Brettny - I'll send you a DM, as I would rather not make it common knowledge on the price.

Paulz - I looked for the last 3 years at buying raw land in this area then starting fresh but when I added up everything it was going to take us 5 years at least to establish the place and much more money in 2022, 23, 24 then we paid for this property.

Raw land in this area was about the same cost as what I paid (after watching the local market for 3 years) so it was just an insane opportunity that expedited our ability to just move in. My only regret is owing the bank money, I was trying to avoid taking out loans for the rest of my private life. (business loans are fine)

Glad you guys enjoyed the videos, its been a wild ride so far but I feel like we are built for this area. I just have to learn the hard way on things.

# Posted: 11 Feb 2024 19:36

Send me a DM too. I'd also like to know. Congrats.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.