Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Work Day/Slash Pile Burn
gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Mar 2024 20:06 - Edited by: gcrank1

Didn't get to burning our biggest slash pile to date, and winter got away from me..... I prefer to do it after the first good snowfall and of course on a calm day, and certainly no later than end of Jan.
Plan....HA!
In fact, I was hoping to do it about the second week of Jan last; then I had my SCA event on Jan 5.
So 9 weeks out and Ive rehabbed very well. Knew I had to get at this even though the snow is gone and we are moving into what looks like an early spring.
My DNR contact got me a Special Burning Permit dependent upon conditions for last Thur and Fri.
We had rain Thur night so wet ground and Fri was calm. We made an early run to the cabin and had it going by 8am, smoke went straight up. Even though the smalls burned quickly (and OH SO HOT) the bigger Jack Pine trunks lingered on. And on...and on...
I was finally able to wrap it all up at 8:15; a 12 hour burn.
I wish there was a better way to deal with the stuff. A tractor mounted pto chipper for my 26ish hp JD1025r (big bucks) would help. Maybe I can find a used one.
Anyway, it was a long, hard day and I held up to it. Even woke up Sat morning in decent shape and did some other maintenance work.
All in all, Im pretty much back to my 'old normal'

ICC
# Posted: 10 Mar 2024 21:23 - Edited by: ICC

Congrats on getting some slash safely burned. It is a task I wish we didn't have to deal with as out west here st least, it has got more difficult to find suitable 'weather windows'.

We bought an 8-inch tow behind chipper a number of years ago. Used. 44 hp Kubota. The county bought a bigger one and we bought the old one. That takes care of most of the tree tops etc. I think your 26 hp might be able to drive a 6" chipper.

We still have some larger dead and down that needs
burning. My nephew tells me we/he got lucky with a good amount of snow a few times this winter. He was able to burn everything we had prepped for last summer and fall. I thank him while I revel in the warm days in Baja. I don't like winter snow as much as I used to.

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Mar 2024 08:54

Burning if possible is the best way and easiest. A chipper sounds nice until you realize you have to hand load each stick through the thing while burning diesel in a machine that cost $20k+..vs a $2 lighter.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Mar 2024 09:50

Roger That, Brett!

snobdds
# Posted: 12 Mar 2024 13:05

I have a chipper that I use, due to the fact I am in the middle of a national forest.

A 50k chipper is still a lot cheaper than a million dollar fine.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Mar 2024 17:52

Quoting: snobdds
A 50k chipper is still a lot cheaper than a million dollar fine.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Mar 2024 19:29

Brett, my lighter this time cost about $5, not $2! And not due to inflation......
I used the new long reach elec-sizzle lighter like prev linked on another thread here. Love it!
Bought the 2 pack on Amazon, keeping one for home and one for cabin.

We went up today, wife had not seen the site since the burn. What a tiny pile of ash and crumbles compared to the pile. We kept looking up at the hill throughout the day just to not see the pile anymore

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Mar 2024 20:18

Lol my "lighter" for outdoor use is a plumbing torch with trigger style ignition. Lock the flame on into some kindling and your blazing in a few minutes. Thaws locks and lights the wood stove real quick too.

My go to brush pile technique is to get a small fire going with a arm full of dry wood stove wood then start putting the brush on, then douse with gas/used motor oil (25/75). After the brush is going well it's time for the stumps to be added. I have done many fires like this. Our cabin site and 700ft driveway have had all the brush and stumps burned in this fashion.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.