Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16x40 cabin project
Author Message
Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 06:27am - Edited by: Gfrankie
Reply 


Been lurking here for a while but was hesitant to post pics
But here is the cabin I started on my WV mountain property in April. It's been a slow go working mainly just weekends.
Messenger_creation_D.jpeg
Messenger_creation_D.jpeg
Messenger_creation_F.jpeg
Messenger_creation_F.jpeg
Messenger_creation_6.jpeg
Messenger_creation_6.jpeg
Messenger_creation_8.jpeg
Messenger_creation_8.jpeg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 06:29am - Edited by: Gfrankie
Reply 


Only 4 pics at time.... I'll try to get caught up.
Not sure if the wife is helping or getting ready to throw the hammer at me??
20260530_093427.jpg
20260530_093427.jpg
Messenger_creation_E.jpeg
Messenger_creation_E.jpeg
71.jpg
71.jpg
20260625_084130.jpg
20260625_084130.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 06:31am
Reply 


Will post more later....

Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 09:32am
Reply 


Few more
inspectors
inspectors
Sunrise view
Sunrise view
Truss
Truss
80.jpg
80.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 09:42am - Edited by: Gfrankie
Reply 


Finishing up setting the truss.
This is what I posted a question about.
I'm curious if I should build a "wall" above the front wall where the truss cantilevers over the porch? This would be for attic insulation purposes. That way it would be insulation just over the finished interior and would separate the attic space from the porch ceiling.
85.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg
86.jpg
90.jpg
90.jpg
93.jpg
93.jpg


gcrank1
Moderator
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 10:06am
Reply 


Ambitious project!
What are the dimensions?

Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 10:46am
Reply 


Quoting: gcrank1
Ambitious project!
What are the dimensions?

Thanks!
16' x 40' with an 8' deep porch running the length pf the front.

Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 10:51am
Reply 


Roof sheathing
95.jpg
95.jpg
103.jpg
103.jpg
109.jpg
109.jpg
108.jpg
108.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 10:55am
Reply 


Shingles. Thought hard about going with a metal roof. Hope I don't regret not doing it.
112.jpg
112.jpg
113.jpg
113.jpg
114.jpg
114.jpg
118.jpg
118.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 10:57am
Reply 


Shingles finished and the wife added her solar lights.
126.jpg
126.jpg
127.jpg
127.jpg
124.jpg
124.jpg
125.jpg
125.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 11:00am
Reply 


House wrap and starting the porch
129.jpg
129.jpg
130.jpg
130.jpg
131.jpg
131.jpg
133.jpg
133.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 11:04am
Reply 


More porch pics and a West Virginia pole dancer? lol
137.jpg
137.jpg
138.jpg
138.jpg
143.jpg
143.jpg
141.jpg
141.jpg


Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 9 Sep 2026 11:13am
Reply 


Porch complete this past weekend. This is the wifes favorite. She's been waiting patiently for us to get the porch.
That's where I'm at now. Hope y'all enjoy the pics.
I'm open for suggestions, questions, criticisms. Don't be too hard on me. I'm not a carpenter. Just a diy'er who knows just enough to get myself in trouble then try to redneck engineer a way out of it.
I posted a question on another site a while back and got roasted for not knowing something. Which is why I have hesitated posting here. Y'all seem pretty friendly though! lol

I would appreciate any suggestions on my question regarding the attic insulation.
146.jpg
146.jpg
148.jpg
148.jpg
150.jpg
150.jpg
149.jpg
149.jpg


jsahara24
Member
# Posted: 10 Sep 2026 03:45pm
Reply 


Cabin looks great and so does the view! I understand why she wanted that deck completed!

Did you install a vented ridge?

DRP
Member
# Posted: 10 Sep 2026 08:24pm
Reply 


The killer view puts you squarely in exposure D, high wind. I would intake behind the beam rather than in front to hopefully avoid wind noise. Run strapping from the porch wall at the house up onto the cripple wall sections you sheath above that wall. Also tie the trusses, beam , posts, down to the footing. The uplift force is about 25 lbs per square foot of porch ceiling + overhang, trying to lift the roof off.

Horizontally that same wind force is pushing on the 2 rows of unbraced posts with a force of building height x length x ~25 psf. ... Think about framing and sheathing the ends and 1st bays of the foundation.

Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 11 Sep 2026 04:50am
Reply 


Quoting: jsahara24
# Posted: 10 Sep 2026 03:45pm
Reply Quote

Cabin looks great and so does the view! I understand why she wanted that deck completed!

Did you install a vented ridge

Thanks!
I went with gable vents and will have vented soffit.

Gfrankie
Member
# Posted: 11 Sep 2026 04:58am
Reply 


Quoting: DRP
The killer view puts you squarely in exposure D, high wind. I would intake behind the beam rather than in front to hopefully avoid wind noise. Run strapping from the porch wall at the house up onto the cripple wall sections you sheath above that wall. Also tie the trusses, beam , posts, down to the footing. The uplift force is about 25 lbs per square foot of porch ceiling + overhang, trying to lift the roof off.

Horizontally that same wind force is pushing on the 2 rows of unbraced posts with a force of building height x length x ~25 psf. ... Think about framing an

Thanks for all of that information. Forgive my ignorance, but when you reference "cripple wall" are you talking about what I mentioned about separating the attic space above the finished area and the porch ceiling?
As far as the foundation, it will be completely enclosed (with vents) once finished.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.