Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Guy from central Alabama
ogob
# Posted: 28 Jul 2011 13:57

I have been living offgrid full time for close to two years now. I spent the majority of my time just working to live out here, but have now settled into a routine that gives me a bit of free time. So I thought I would find an online community to share with and learn from.

I have five acres out in the middle of nowhere Alabama with a small 120 sqft cabin, capture rainwater for laundry, showers, etc. I just got a small 45 watt solar system for a little power and compost my waste for an idea of how I live. I am excited to go through the other posts here and see how everyone else is doing things.

Ibanezz

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 09:48

sounds like a nice place, welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

got any pic's of your cabin and solar system and rainwater capture???
we like pic's........

neb
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 12:41

I also would like to say hi. It sounds like a great life you are living.

ogob
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 04:15

Thanks for the welcomes. Here is a picture of my place. I will put up more in the Project area soon. I don't have any of the solar system or rain barrels, so will have to take some first.
Temp cabin / Storage Shed
Temp cabin / Storage Shed

hattie
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 13:38

ogob - It looks like you have a beautiful spot there. I would also like to see photos of your rainwater capture if you are able to post them. Keep the pictures coming and best of luck to you.

AU2009
# Posted: 3 Aug 2011 15:26

would like to see how you set up your water/rain catch system. Are you gravity feeding it into the cabin?

Scott_T
# Posted: 3 Aug 2011 18:54

I know that before air conditioners people living in the south somehow coped with the summer heat. How are you dealing with it?

Vince P
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 15:24

Quoting: AU2009
would like to see how you set up your water/rain catch system. Are you gravity feeding it into the cabin?

Here are couple pics of mine.
The first generation was a gravity feed system from a 50 gal barrel (the white one) to the kitchen sink. It worked OK.
In the second photo, I added a bathroom to the cabin, so I acquired a 500 gal tank and used the 50 gal barrel as a roof washer. This second set up utilizes an on-demand pump powered by my 12V battery bank.
1st generation: gravity feed
1st generation: gravity feed
2nd generation: 12v pump feed
2nd generation: 12v pump feed

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 22:01

We pump water from the lake into a 250 gallon water tank on top of our water tower we built this year. We almost finished the tower this year. Need to put up railings. Sorry the photos are side ways.
Gas powered water pump
Gas powered water pump
Hoses from lake to water tower
Hoses from lake to water tower
Water tower
Water tower

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 22:07

I forgot to mention that the 250 gallon tank is not giving us enough water pressure to activate the pilot light on our EZ Tankless water tank for the shower so we had to hook up the gas water pump. It was to noisy. We are getting a bigger water tank next year 500 or 600 gallons and running water lines to the cabin as well. We ran out of time to do that so maybe I'll have running water in the cabin in 2012.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.