Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My '12 x '24 Log Cabin
Jimbohlia
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 21:33

I just found this forum and really wish I knew about it when I was getting started with this project, but I'm here now and just wanted to share my cabin with you all. The cabin is '12 x 24' and constructed from 6" D logs. The roof is at a 6-10 pitch which was a challenge to build but it allows anyone in the sleeper loft almost full use of the '12 x '12 space. There is a '6 x '12 front porch and a '12 x '12 deck on the side. Because flat land is hard to come by here, we hung the whole back of the cabin off the edge of the ridge and it's about 10ft in the air at the back. This allowed me to have a yard and a place to park my truck. Power is run off a hundred amp breaker at a relatives cabin from 650 ft down the mountain using #1 mobile home feeder cable, which gives me 75 amps here.
For water, I put in a box to catch a spring 300 ft up the mtn and gravity feed it down to a 300 gallon holding tank under the cabin where I pump it up to the house.
Since this is where I am going to call home for some time, I wanted to keep the cabin as open as possible despite it's small foot print. There is a lot of natural light and an open floor plan, even the bathroom has a frosted glass door. If you look at the pictures you will notice the bookcase is also a door to the closet. People are always commenting on how livable this small space seems, for me it feels just right!
Here's a link to photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/64385345@N00/sets/72157627366544952/

hattie
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 22:10 - Edited by: hattie

HOLY COW!!!!! What a fantastic cabin!!! I love the height of the ceiling and all the windows that let light in. Using the other side of the closet door as a bookcase is sheer genius! I just can't believe how much space you have found in such a small footprint. This is absolutely AMAZING!!! Congratulations on a fabulous job!!!!

How are you heating it?

Nirky
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 22:18

Wow. This is about the coolest cabin I've seen anywhere. It gives me ideas. Well done!

Jimbohlia
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 22:31 - Edited by: Jimbohlia

Thanks Hattie,
It was pretty much circumstance necessitating some ingenuity. When I had planned the cabin it was going to be '24 x '24. I had already poured all the footers for my post and then I ran into a great deal on logs left over from a friends project. The problem was that there was only enough logs to do about half the project, so instead of passing on them, I just took the original plan and halfed it. In the end I'm happy I did it!
Almost forgot, I am heating it with a monitor brand kerosene heater. It is rated for a house up to 2200 square feet, not so sure how well that would work but it keeps this place plenty toasty!

Jimbohlia
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 22:47

Quoting: Nirky
Wow. This is about the coolest cabin I've seen anywhere. It gives me ideas. Well done!

Thanks Nirky, I'm really glad I had a chance to show it to you. If you have any questions I'll definitely try and answer them.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Aug 2011 08:08

realy nice cabin---job well done. Great pic's!!!!!

Montanan
# Posted: 23 Aug 2011 11:11

What a wonderful cabin! I love the ceiling height- there's so much room in the loft. The frosted glass bathroom door was a great idea.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Aug 2011 13:25

Beautiful cabin with wonderful craftsmanship. What I love about it, besides everything previously mentioned by others, are all your light fixtures. They are really lovely. Congratulations!

Anonymous
# Posted: 23 Aug 2011 19:09

Just beautiful....

Rob_O
# Posted: 23 Aug 2011 20:47

Place looks awesome. Great job!

Jimbohlia
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 09:18 - Edited by: Jimbohlia

Thank you all for the kind words. I definitely take a lot of pride in my cabin and it's great to have a forum to be able to show it.
Driving around here in the mountains of Tennessee, I know there must be tons of awesome cabins nestled back in the woods but you never get to see them so it's great to have a window to peak in and see what people are building!

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 10:01

Nice cabin, you did good.

Hope you don't mind, but I saved the address to your album to go back and look again. I like the closet also, and the nice open feel of the place. I've built some smaller houses/cabins, most say "It looks bigger inside than outside" when they walk in.

Jimbohlia
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 10:12

Malamute
I don't mind at all, in fact, if you want more detailed photos of any specific area just let me know and i'll post them.

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 10:20

Thanks!

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 12:14

Very, very nice! Love the Chandelier also, nice touch

Jimbohlia
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 10:50

I am on a new project with the cabin and thought I would update the post - I finally got around to starting a railing for the sleeper loft -only after my foot got snagged on a piece of clothing on the floor and nearly sent me over the edge.
I decided to take down a poplar tree that had been blocking the view and use it for the railing.
I used a draw knife to skin the tree and cut it into sections for the post and hand rails and then I applied a BUNCH of sealer to the wood. When it is finished there will be small branches spanning between the top and bottom railing - still deciding how I want to place them. I will post pictures of the finished project. I doubt I'll ever be 'finished' with this place :)
railing1
railing1
railing2
railing2
railing3
railing3

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 12:04

Jimbohlia,
How long did it take you to build? I love the open look.
I'm from the tri-cities and those mountains sure look like home. What part of TN are you living? Next to turkeyhunter, I find few southerners here.

Jimbohlia
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 12:55

You know your mountains! I am up near Roan Mountain and I work in Johnson City ,so yeah, we're pretty much neighbors :)
The cabin took about a year and a half of weekends to get fully completed....well livable anyway. I'm still working on the fully completed part.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.