Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12x20 ADK style lean to cabin
bhebby
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 10:20

Here is the cabin I have been putting up in NY. Its an ADK lean to style cabin. I had most of built since I am under the gun before the snow flies. I am having trouble decising where to put bunks and the wood stove. The short wall leads to some challenges but I wanted something that looked different and had some flair versus the normal designs of sheds/cabins.
cabin_1.jpg
cabin_1.jpg
cabin_2.jpg
cabin_2.jpg
cabin_4.jpg
cabin_4.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 10:41

Congratulation bhebby!! Looks really good and it will be exciting watching it come along.

How big is your cabin and how many bunks do you need? In our loft we will be building in a single over double bunk. It will be just like your short wall.
If your double side was placed parallel right up against your short wall the single would be over it but towards the outside of the double allowing for enough headroom I think. Does that make any sense? What is your roof pitch? How tall is your short wall?

I also would recommend that your wood stove go somewhere where the pipe goes through the tallest part of your roof-that way it will be less expensive on the outside(less stainless piping to be above peak) and inside you will benefit from the heat in the pipe radiating back inside the cabin.

Suppose you'll be needing that stove soon huh?

bhebby
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:32

Not sure on the roof pitch I have original design which I could send. Back wall is 48"...not really sure what you mean but I am trying to achieve a layout that max space! Yes wood stove soon. Shoot me a email if you would like to discuss it further.

dstraate
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:58

Looking good, It's amazing that even with all of that framing done, it is only beginning. Small projects take entire weekends (The woodstove is taking me two). It seems that prioritizing projects becomes crucial. You're doing fantastic.

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 13:53

Sorry for the confusion...that explains why my husband gets that glazed over look when I am throwing ideas out there!!!!LOL!

Maybe these (very quick) drawings will help. Depending on how many you need and how long your cabin is you may be able to build in more than one set of these.
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 13:58

dstraate-

Wood stove was a royal pain for us-good luck on yours. You'll be glad when it is all done!

bhebby
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:04

Ahh that makes sense! That is all about I would I like to be ble to sleep. I plan on making small bunk houses later on for others to crash in. Good idea thanks

bhebby
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:06

troll bridge are these all for twin size mattress? Where is your cabin troll bridge. I have to tackle the wood stove soon...real soon. the salmon run is on and bow season starts tomorrow......and Im not there

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:15 - Edited by: trollbridge

Ha! The salmon and deer need you...you better hurry!!! I go mental when I'm not at our place!!! We are in northwestern Wisconsin about 11 miles south of Lake Superior. The way we are doing our bunk is a two person(dbl or queen size) on bottom and twin on top. So it sleeps 3. Depending on who is sleeping there you may want something different. Tell us more about what you are envisioning...is this a family cabin,hunting shack for buddies or something combined?

dk1393
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:23

Hello bhebby, I stopped by your camp the other day. It is looking good. Let me know if I can be of any help..

Darrell

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:27

its a hunting fishing camp that I want to finish off so its nice inside that miy wife will like to come also. I might go with three twins so 2 could be pushed together if we have another couple up or something. I think Im going the futon for a couch route also so that will pull out for 2 to sleep.

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:31

Yep, sounds good! Gotta make it nice for your wife, then she might get addicted too and you'll be able to go that much more often!!! He he!

Where are you thinking your wood stove will sit?

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:43

the corner by the door short wall corner? not sure yet.

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 15:18

Are you going to have somewhat of a kitchen area? Table?

I take it no indoor plumbing since you haven't mentioned a bathroom space. Do you have electricity? What are the cabin dimensions?

Have you bought your wood stove already?

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 15:31

AHHH,duh...just realized your cabin dimensions are in your topic headline. Sorry :{

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 16:12

Here is an idea that you may like. It is not drawn to scale.
scan0005.jpg
scan0005.jpg

Montanan
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 16:38

I agree with trollbridge about the wood stove- would be best if you can put it near the tall wall...or possibly in the center. You want to be able to sit and stand near it and maximize the heat you get from it.

And...um...yes...it was a way bigger headache getting the stove installed than we expected. Good luck!

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 17:12

Actually in this case though it may just be best on the short wall- here is my thinking:

Not much else one can do with the shorter walls anyways and heat rises, so it may be better off in the lowest part of the roof.

I really like the style of your cabin and in my mind I can picture a really cool "trappers" cabin!

bhebby
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 08:08

Troll bridge thanks for taking the time with the hand sketches! I am taking your advice on the bed location and I was either going to put the stove where you had it or in the far corner and place the couch futon in the stove location you had on the last sketch. I think I may have have chosen fashion over function but again I didnt want it to look like I was bunking up in a lawnmower shed. I will eventually build a few small bunk houses for others to crash but one thing at a time right! I dont have a stove yet except for an old wood coal cookstove which I am no longer going to use.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 09:35

If you do go with the futon on the short back wall make sure you have enough headroom and remember not just while sitting but also walking over to it. Yeah by having the sloped roof going down to a 4 foot wall you limited yourself somewhat but I totally think it is cool and very fitting for your area. Like I said , I can picture in my head a really cozy place with your set up. What are you going to do for siding?

bhebby
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 10:59

board and batten I was going to go with the ADK siding but decided to go with what is readily available in the area. It should be cozy. Just ordered a couple of Phillips LED ligthbulbs 60W so my battery system is now in the works also. Heading over to interstate battery to buy a few refurb batteries that they sell way cheaper than new. What do you use for lighting or do you have electric service?

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 16:59

Your siding will look very nice when done!

We do not have electricity. We are using our larger generator while building to run tools and such. We use our 2000 watt Honda more than we would like right now but that is because we just haven't gotten around to setting up a more permanent solution. We use one marine battery to run some lights and our ceiling fans while we sleep. We wired our cabin so we could have electricity someday though. We have a lot to learn about batteries and solar and all that technical stuff! Good luck to you on yours. How much are the batteries they sell?

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 20:05

Our bigger generator is 3500 watts I think-we don't use the Honda for tools. Thought I better clarify that.

Butterfield
# Posted: 3 Mar 2012 17:43

Hi.
I'm thinking of doing a lean to...do you have any more photos?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.